(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 13:18, 3 April 2011
Instructors: Jacquin Niles, Ron Weiss, and Agi Stachowiak
Writing Instructor: Neal Lerner, Linda Sutliff
Oral Presentation Instructor: Atissa Banuazizi
TAs: Carrie Thompson, Adrian Randall, Han-Hwa Hung
Lecture: T/R 11-12 (4-237)
Lab: T/R 1-5 or W/F 1-5 (56-322)
Welcome to 20.109! For many of you this will be the first time in a research lab and for others it will not; either way, it is our goal to make this class a useful and fun introduction to experiments and techniques in biological engineering. There is not time enough to show you everything you’ll need to know if you go on to do research, but after taking this class you should feel confident and familiar with some fundamental experimental approaches and lab protocols. You will develop good habits at the bench, ones that will increase the likelihood of success in your work and ensure the health and safety of you and those around you. By the end of the semester, you should also be aware of good scientific practice, having had some experience with report writing, notebook keeping and publicly presenting your data. All of us involved in teaching 20.109 hope you will find it a satisfying challenge and an exciting experience that has lasting value.
- Module 2, Day 7 journal article assignments are now posted within that day's Protocol section. AgiStachowiak 13:18, 3 April 2011 (EDT)
- The rest of the Protocol will be posted most likely tonight, certainly by Monday night.
- Recall that Monday there will be office hours from 4-5 pm.
- I'm confirming office hours for the Module 1 report. All will be in room 16-336.
- Sunday, 3-4:30, both sections may attend.
- Monday, 5:15-6:15, T/R section only may attend.
- Tuesday, 5:15-6:15, W/F section only may attend.
- The Monday and Tuesday office hours are primarily for shorter last-minute questions. You are strongly encouraged to attend the Sunday office hours for more involved questions.
- W/F binding data is posted on the Day 7 Talk page. AgiStachowiak 16:31, 2 March 2011 (EST)
- T/R binding data is posted on the Day 7 Talk page. AgiStachowiak 17:46, 1 March 2011 (EST)
- We are trying to deconstruct what happened with the groups who did not see a shift between 6-5 and 8-12.
- Your RT-PCR gels are posted on the Mod 1 Day 5 Talk page. AgiStachowiak 13:57, 21 February 2011 (EST)
- The journal club paper list is finally updated. Thanks for your patience! AgiStachowiak 13:28, 14 February 2011 (EST)
- Minor changes have been made to the Day 2 protocol. Part 1 has a wording change to step 4 and an added step 7; Part 3 has a volume change in step 13 and an added step 15. The reagents list has a change to the Qiagen kit used.AgiStachowiak 16:39, 7 February 2011 (EST)
- The wording in question 3 of the CLUSTAL analysis has been changed slightly.AgiStachowiak 16:47, 3 February 2011 (EST)
- You can find old announcements here