- change in both A(t) (surface area) and
- simplest case of concave cell (red blood cell)
- A(t) = Ao (constant surface area)
- not exponential solution. solve differential equation numerically
- find that shrinking is faster than swelling
- explained by fact that more water is needed to swell cell to twice volume as water lost to shrink to half volume
- for spherical cell, dynamics look identical to constant surface area case
- General conclusion: simple model of swelling agrees with equilirium and kinetic response of simple cells.
- But there are cases where it doesn't fit
- family of aquaporins
- first discovered by Agre (AQP1, 28kDa)
- normal protein dyes don't stain this protein
- 1D, 2D, 3D structures solved
- positive charge in middle of this channel
- on one side water's negative side points towards it. once passed the middle of channel, the water flips direction.