840:153g:Projects/project23/2012/10/04

From OpenWetWare

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Autocreate 2012/10/04 Entry for 840:153g:Projects/project23)
(Entry title)
Line 7: Line 7:
<!-- ##### DO NOT edit above this line unless you know what you are doing. ##### -->
<!-- ##### DO NOT edit above this line unless you know what you are doing. ##### -->
==Entry title==
==Entry title==
-
* Insert content here...
+
* On Tuesday we worked on finishing our DNA extraction form the Geobacter bacteria.  
 +
* We spun our sample down to pour out the extra supernatant, suspended it in 500 microL TE and 2 microL of RNase, this was then incubated
 +
*After letting our sample incubate we did a process of 4 DNA extractions in hopes to rid our sample of all proteins and other extra materials besides pure DNA. This was done with 2 extractions of phenol and 2 extractions with chloroform. These were spun to separate the layers of phenol/chloroform and DNA. We discarded these after spinning it down.
 +
*We then added 1mL of ethanol and 40 microL of Na-acetate and let it precipitate until Thursday
 +
* On Thursday we resuspended our pellet in 50microL of H2O and then began our set up for running a PCR
 +
*We created an appropriate liquid mixture for our get- using agrose and TBE buffer, then added EtBr and poured into our bed to create gel.
 +
*We created a digest with our DNA using EcoR1, buffer, and H2O and incubated
 +
* We used 3 wells:
 +
                  Well #3- undigested DNA
 +
                  Well #4- 100Bp ladder
 +
                  Well #5- digested DNA
 +
*Results are here
 +
 
 +
 

Revision as of 14:28, 9 October 2012

Project name Main project page
Previous entry      Next entry

Entry title

  • On Tuesday we worked on finishing our DNA extraction form the Geobacter bacteria.
  • We spun our sample down to pour out the extra supernatant, suspended it in 500 microL TE and 2 microL of RNase, this was then incubated
  • After letting our sample incubate we did a process of 4 DNA extractions in hopes to rid our sample of all proteins and other extra materials besides pure DNA. This was done with 2 extractions of phenol and 2 extractions with chloroform. These were spun to separate the layers of phenol/chloroform and DNA. We discarded these after spinning it down.
  • We then added 1mL of ethanol and 40 microL of Na-acetate and let it precipitate until Thursday
  • On Thursday we resuspended our pellet in 50microL of H2O and then began our set up for running a PCR
  • We created an appropriate liquid mixture for our get- using agrose and TBE buffer, then added EtBr and poured into our bed to create gel.
  • We created a digest with our DNA using EcoR1, buffer, and H2O and incubated
  • We used 3 wells:
                  Well #3- undigested DNA
                  Well #4- 100Bp ladder
                  Well #5- digested DNA
  • Results are here



Personal tools