AU Biomaterials Design Lab:Equipment/Centrifuge
(Difference between revisions)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 12:58, 28 November 2012
Thermo Scientific RC-6+ Centrifuge: two different rotars are available with this model.
- Sorvall SH-3000 Swinging Bucket Rotor
- Sorvall RC-6 Plus Superspeed Centrifuge
- This instrumentation is used to rotate an object at varying speeds in order to separate out different substances based on their different densities at controlled temperatures. More dense substances are pushed to the bottom while less dense substances are able to move to the top. Between the two rotors, the rpm ranges from 0-22000rpm.
Purpose of Use
- Beeghly 314
- American University
- Washington, DC
- access to the room is restricted; see Dr. Miller, Dr. Hartings or Dr. Fox for access.
- Be wary of contamination and possible leakage when working with radioactive, toxic, or pathogenic materials.
- Be sure to securely lock the rotor to drive before starting a centrifuge run
- Do not expose aluminum rotor components to strong acids, bases, or alkaline laboratory detergents. The bearings of the drive unit may corrode or deteriorate.
- Do not operate centrifuge with a rotor out of balance or at the critical speed as this will damage the centrifuge and reduce the component life.
- Make sure centrifuge is grounded properly to avoid electrical shock hazards.
- DO not centrifuge materials in this instrument capable of developing flammable or explosive vapors or extreme exothermic reactions.