AU Biomaterials Design Lab:Equipment/LS55 PerkinElmer
- Perkin Elmer LS 55 Fluorescence Spectrometer
- This is a 0.1nm resolution, compact spectrophotometer that uses the windows-compatible FL WinLab™ software that can measure fluorescence, phosphorescence and bio- and chemi-luminescence using a pulsed Xenon lamp source.
Purpose of use
Instrumentation The LS55 Perkin Elmer Fluorescence Spectrometer, 230V uses a pusled Xenon source to measure fluorescence, phosphorescence, chemi- and bio- luminescence. The FL WinLab™ software has different modes operation like Scan, TimeDrive, and Ratio Data Collection, increasing the versatility of the instrument. The excitation and emission monochromators can be used independently or simultaneously. The instrument also has the ability to prescan the sample to determine the excitation peak and maximum emission.
Included with the LS55 Perkin Elmer Fluorescence Spectrometer, 230V is a single-cell sample holder that can hold up to a 1cm pathlength cell and has the option of stirring. The automated polarizer has two filter wheels that have both a horizontal and vertical polarizing element. The polarizer is controlled by the software.
- Fluorescence, phosphorescence and bio- and chemi-luminescence
- 3D excitation/emission scans
- 3D synchronous and kinetic scans
- Flat samples, like TLC plates and electrophoresis gels, can be analyzed using the plate reader accessory
- Wavelength kinetics (both single and multiple wavelengths)
- Intracellular ion analysis
- Beeghly 207
- American University
- Washington, DC
- access to the laboratory is restricted; see Dr. Miller, Dr. Hartings or Dr. Fox for access.
- How does one use this instrument.
- Include any relevant links to OWW protocols
- Include any relevant links to the manufacturer's protocols
- Note to users: you may note any troubleshooting or log your use on the talk page.
- Are there any safety considerations for this instrument?
- Wavelength range: 190 to 1100nm
- Spectral bandwidth: 1nm (190 to 1100nm)
- Wavelength accuracy: ±0.1nm
- Wavelength repeatability: ±0.5nm
- Source: Xenon discharge lamp, equivalent to 20kW for 8μs duration
- Pulse Width at Half Height: <10μs
- Sample Detector:
- Gated photomultiplier with modified S5 response, max operation ~650nm
- Red-sensitive R928 photomultiplier (optional), max operation ~900nm
- Reference detector: Photodiode, max operation ~900nm
- Monk-Gillieson type monochromators
- Range: 200-800nm with zero order selectable
- Spectral bandpass: 2.5-15.0nm, selected in 0.1nm increments
- Range: 200nm-650nm with standard photomultiplier with zero order selectable; 200-900m with optional R928 photomultiplier
- Spectral bandpass:2.5-20.0nm, selected in 0.1nm increments
- Variable delay and gate times
- Minimum total period: 12.0ms (50Hz)
- Dimensions (W×D×H): 450(W) x 490(D) x 270(H) and Weight is 15kg
- Memory: USB memory, Saved as text and UVPC file
Add any other categories that may be relevant to your page. We use categories like tags.