AU Biomaterials Design Lab:Equipment/LS55 PerkinElmer
- Perkin Elmer LS 55 Fluorescence Spectrometer
- This is a 0.1nm resolution, compact spectrophotometer that uses the windows-compatible FL WinLab™ software that can measure fluorescence, phosphorescence and bio- and chemi-luminescence using a pulsed Xenon lamp source.
Purpose of use
Instrumentation The LS55 Perkin Elmer Fluorescence Spectrometer, 230V uses a pusled Xenon source to measure fluorescence, phosphorescence, chemi- and bio- luminescence. The FL WinLab™ software has different modes operation like Scan, TimeDrive, and Ratio Data Collection, increasing the versatility of the instrument. The excitation and emission monochromators can be used independently or simultaneously. The instrument also has the ability to prescan the sample to determine the excitation peak and maximum emission.
Included with the LS55 Perkin Elmer Fluorescence Spectrometer, 230V is a single-cell sample holder that can hold up to a 1cm pathlength cell and has the option of stirring. The automated polarizer has two filter wheels that have both a horizontal and vertical polarizing element. The polarizer is controlled by the software.
- Fluorescence, phosphorescence and bio- and chemi-luminescence
- 3D excitation/emission scans
- 3D synchronous and kinetic scans
- Flat samples, like TLC plates and electrophoresis gels, can be analyzed using the plate reader accessory
- Wavelength kinetics (both single and multiple wavelengths)
- Intracellular ion analysis
- Beeghly 207
- American University
- Washington, DC
- access to the laboratory is restricted; see Dr. Miller, Dr. Hartings or Dr. Fox for access.
- 'Turning on the Instrument
- There is a on/off switch located on the left-hand side of the instrument's panel.
- When the switch is turned on, the neon lamp on the front lower left-hand side of the instrument is lit.
- It takes about 1 minutes to initialize.
- The instrument should be completely switched on before switching on the computer.
- Switch on the PC
- When Windows has completely loaded, start the FL WinLab software.
- Include any relevant links to OWW protocols
- Include any relevant links to the manufacturer's protocols
- Note to users: you may note any troubleshooting or log your use on the talk page.
- The equipment must be grounded.
- There are three Caution labels on the instrument, indicating that the user's manual needs to be consulted.
- In the sample area, the caution label warns users of the potential for eye damage caused by staring into the beam in the sample compartment.
- Near the mains inlet fuse, the caution label warns users that the operator replaceable fuse is a CSA approved fuse, not an IEC fuse.
- At the front left of the instrument, by the hand screw that fixes the top cover, the caution label warns that removing the cover can expose hazardous voltages.
- The caution label is coupled with a high voltage label.
- The other High voltage label is located inside the instrument on top of the monochromator cover.
- Wavelength range: 190 to 1100nm
- Spectral bandwidth: 1nm (190 to 1100nm)
- Wavelength accuracy: ±0.1nm
- Wavelength repeatability: ±0.5nm
- Source: Xenon discharge lamp, equivalent to 20kW for 8μs duration
- Pulse Width at Half Height: <10μs
- Sample Detector:
- Gated photomultiplier with modified S5 response, max operation ~650nm
- Red-sensitive R928 photomultiplier (optional), max operation ~900nm
- Reference detector: Photodiode, max operation ~900nm
- Monk-Gillieson type monochromators
- Range: 200-800nm with zero order selectable
- Spectral bandpass: 2.5-15.0nm, selected in 0.1nm increments
- Range: 200nm-650nm with standard photomultiplier with zero order selectable; 200-900m with optional R928 photomultiplier
- Spectral bandpass:2.5-20.0nm, selected in 0.1nm increments
- Computer selectable cut-off (high pass) at 290, 350, 390, 430, and 515nm
- A blank that acts as a shutter
- A 1% T attenuator
- Clear beam position
- Variable delay and gate times
- Minimum total period: 12.0ms (50Hz)
- Increments: 1nm
- Rate: 10-1500 nm/min
- Signal to Noise: 500:1 rms
- using the Raman band of water with excitation at 350 nm
- excitation and emission bandpass: 10nm
- A single position water thermostattable holder for 10mm cuvettes.
- Dimensions (W×D×H):
Add any other categories that may be relevant to your page. We use categories like tags.