AU Biomaterials Design Lab:Equipment/UV-2550 Shimadzu
- Shimadzu UV-2550
Purpose of use
- How does this instrument work?
- What can this instrument be used for?
- Beeghly 207
- American University
- Washington, DC, 20016
- access to the laboratory is restricted; see Dr. Miller, Dr. Hartings or Dr. Fox for access.
- How does one use this instrument.
- Include any relevant links to OWW protocols
- Include any relevant links to the manufacturer's protocols
- Note to users: you may note any troubleshooting or log your use on the talk page.
- Are there any safety considerations for this instrument?
Setting Wavelength Range
- 190nm to 1100nm
Measurement Wavelength Range
- 190nm to 900nm, but can measure up to 1100 with choice with detector
Wavelength Scanning Speed
- Wavelength slew rate: about 3200nm/min
- Wavelength scan rate: about 900nm-160nm/min
- Monitor scan rate: about 2500nm/min
- At 1nm units for scan start and sea end wavelengths, and 0.1nm units for over wavelengths
Lamp Interchange wavelength
- Auto switching synchronized with wavelength, switching range selectable between 282nm-393nm (0.1nm units)
- 6-step switching along 0.1/0.2/0.5/1/2/5nm
- Optimum response speed automatically set depending on bandwidth, minimum 0.1sec
- Less than 0.0003% (220nm, Nal 10g/L solution)
- Less than 0.0003% (340nm, UV-39 filter)
- Double-beam, direct-ratio system with dynode feedback
- Absorbance(Abs.), transmittance(%), reflectance(%), energy(E)
- Absorbance: -4 to 5 Abs
- Transmittance, reflectance: 0.0 to 999.9%
- ±0.002 Abs (0-0.5 Abs)
- ±0.004 Abs (0.5-1.0 Abs)
- ±0.3%T (0-100% T) filter
- Tested with NIST 903D standard
- ±0.001 Abs (0-0.5 Abs)
- ±0.002 Abs (0.5-1.0 Abs)
- ±0.001 Abs (excluding noise, using 2nm slit, and slow wavelength scanning speed)
- Auto correction using PC (stored baseline is automatically loaded when power is switched on, re-correction is possible)
- 0.0004Abs/h (after power is on for 2 hours)
Temperature and humidity requirements
- 15-35°C, 45-80%(no condensation, less than 70% above 30°C)
- 50W halogen lamp (2,000 hours life), deuterium lamp (socket type), light source auto position adjustment built in.
- Grating/Grating type double monochromator
- Pre-monochromator: double-blazed holographic grating
- Main monochromator: high-performance blazed holographic grating in aberration-corrected Czerny-Turner mounting
- R928 Red-Sensitive Photomultiplier
- Internal dimensions: 150W x 260D x 120H (mm)
- Distance between light beams: 100nm
- Maximum light path length of cell: 100nm
- AC100, 120, 220, 240V, switch selectable
- 50/60Hz; 250 VA
- 570W x 660D x 275H (mm)
- About 36kg