BIOL368/F11:Class Journal Week 2
(Difference between revisions)
(→Robert W. Arnold)
(Nicoleete S. Harmon)
|Line 20:||Line 20:|
Revision as of 19:20, 7 September 2011
- The purpose of this assignment was to refamiliarize ourselves with the underlying knowledge and skills that we are going to be using in Bioinformatics while we create databases of interconnected genes. Knowing how mutation and the interaction between genes, proteins, and RNA will help us in the long run.
- I witnessed first hand how changing genetic code will directly influence the introns and exons of an mRNA as well as the final product.
- I did not learn how to really use Aipotu because mine woulnd't work so I just watched and suggested changes to Robert as he worked the program. Also I'm still not completely clear how the program knew where to cut the exons and introns and changing bases would sometimes randomly create introns.
Zeb Russo 18:01, 7 September 2011 (EDT)
Robert W. Arnold
- This assignment allowed to become familiar and comfortable with the software we will be using throughout the semester along with brushing up on topics we may not have seen in great detail since genetics.
- This assignment taught me how to manipulate DNA structures using Aipotu to determine the effects of certain mutations. It allowed me to mutate DNA structures to get the results I wanted.
- I agree with Zeb. I was unsure on what exactly was going on with the introns, exons and how a base shift in an intro would cause that entire intron to not be spliced.
Robert W Arnold 18:22, 7 September 2011 (EDT)
Nicolette S. Harmon
- The purpose of this assignment was to introduce us to the software that we will be using in this class. This assignment also gave us the chance to reacquaint ourselves with various aspects of biology that we may or may not have practiced in a while.
- This assignment taught me how to manipulate the software in different ways to find the results that I was trying to achieve. I worked on the Genetics portion of this assignment so I was trying to find different methods of creating a purple flower.
- Nicolette S. Harmon 19:20, 7 September 2011 (EDT):