Error fetching PMID 9641677:
Error fetching PMID 10368281:
Error fetching PMID 14592768:
- Error fetching PMID 9641677:
- Error fetching PMID 10368281:
- Error fetching PMID 14592768:
Working with Protein Sequences In-class Activity
Preparation for Week 8 Journal Club
The class will be divided into groups of 3 or 4. Each group will create and present a Journal Club (in class in Week 8) on the Kwong et al. (1998), Stanfield et al. (1999), or Stanfield et al. (2003) articles. The groups will be:
- Kwong et al. (1998):
- Stanfield et al. (1999):
- Stanfield et al. (2003):
In preparation for the Journal Club, each individual will do the following assignment on their individual Week 7 Journal page.
- Make a list of at least 10 biological terms for which you did not know the definitions when you first read the article. Define each of the terms. You can use the glossary in any molecular biology, cell biology, or genetics text book as a source for definitions, or you can use one of many available online biological dictionaries (links below). List the citation(s) for the dictionary(s) you use, providing a URL to the page is fine.
- Write an outline of the article. The length should be the equivalent of 2 pages of standard 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper. Your outline can be in any form you choose, but you should utilize the wiki syntax of headers and either numbered or bulleted lists to create it. The text of the outline does not have to be complete sentences, but it should answer the questions listed below and have enough information so that others can follow it. However, your outline should be in YOUR OWN WORDS, not copied straight from the article.
- What is the main result presented in this paper? (Hint: look at the last sentence of the introduction and restate it in plain English.)
- What is the importance or significance of this work?
- What were the limitations in previous studies that led them to perform this work?
- What were the methods used in the study?
- Briefly state the result shown in each of the figures and tables.
- How do the results of this study compare to the results of previous studies (See Discussion).
- Journal Club presentations in class.
- Project work session
- Prepare for Project presentations in Week 10
- Project presentations in class.