BIOL398-01/S11:Class Journal Week 8
- Link to your journal entry from your user page.
- Link back from the journal entry to your user page.
- Sign your portion of the journal with the standard wiki signature shortcut (
- Add the "BIOL398-01/S11" category to the end of the wiki page (if someone has not already done so).
- What aspect of this assignment came most easily to you?
- What aspect of this assignment was the most challenging for you?
- What (yet) do you not understand?
- What aspect of microarrays would you like to know more about?
Sarah Carratt's Journal Entry
- The easiest part was understanding general concepts in Chapter 4 and answering the questions based on what the book said. I really appreciated the author's tone, personal connections, and easy to understand explanations.
- I am least confident with my second to last answer.
- I am struggling with the significance of saying an expression level has changed over time. It's not a matter of understanding that red/green indicate changes, but rather that those changes relate to other influences.
- I would like to understand more about the uses of microarrays and how the results can factor into a larger experiment. I think this would help me connect all the dots in my head from class and the reading.
Sarah Carratt 00:03, 17 March 2011 (EDT)
Carmen E. Castaneda's Journal Entry
- The easiest part of the assignment was trying to follow th math behind the math corner and the description of ratios and comparing the similarities.
- The most challenging part of the assignment was reading it and answering the questions because I had to continuously stop and try to figure out what exactly it was talking about or look up terms I didn't know.
- I'm still wrapping my mind arround the idea of microarrays. At the moment I'm very confused with the coloring because I felt like they were talking about different things being represented by green and red. So I;m trying to figure out the relationship between one thing and the next and how that would indicate what color it got assigned.
- I would like to know more things that would help me understand how the coloring works. I would like a clearer explanation between the relationship of genes and their functions in the cell and how they are presented in the microarray. Everything seems kind of fuzzy at the moment.
--Carmen E. Castaneda 03:04, 17 March 2011 (EDT)
James C. Clements' Journal Entry
- Interpreting the Microarray data came most easily to me.
- Coming up with good controls for the last questions was the most difficult part for me.
- I still don't entirely understand the effects on a microaray from deleting genes.
- I'd like to know more about the manufacturing process for microarrays.
James C. Clements 00:58, 16 March 2011 (EDT)
Nicholas A. Rohacz's Journal Entry
- The easiest thing that came to me during this assignment was reading through the paper and the graphs to find the answers to the questions.
- The thing that came hardest to me was making sense of the paper as I read through it.
- One thing that still confuses me is when the microarray dots are green and when they are red, I have to read back through the explanation every time to figure it out.
- One aspect of microarrays that I would like to know more about is some other applications that they can be used for. I understand that they can be used to map out a genome, but I want to know if there are other uses.
Nicholas A. Rohacz 02:34, 14 March 2011 (EDT)
Alondra Vega's Journal Entry
- The aspect that came most easily to me was reading through the paper. It was not a boring chapter at all, so it was an enjoyable read. Also, there were some questions that came easy to me.
- The most challenging were questions 1 and 2. Those took me awhile to think about and I am still not sure if I interpreted the graphs correctly.
- What I do not understand is how to make the graphs that show the transcription over time.
- Microarrays are really interesting and I believe that anything else I learn will be cool. I would like to know how the first people were able to deduce that this was an acceptable method and why they chose the color scheme. Also I am interested in learning the methodology of the microarray system and how long it took them to come up with this system.
Alondra Vega 23:22, 16 March 2011 (EDT)