This journal entry is due on Monday, January 31 at midnight PST (Sunday night/Monday morning). NOTE that the server records the time as Eastern Standard Time (EST). Therefore, midnight will register as 03:00.
- Look up the following terms and provide definitions. For each definition, three elements are required: you must quote a source, reference the source, and interpret the definition in your own words.
- dynamical system
- law of mass action
Applying the Law of Mass Action
- Construct differential equations that model the following reactions. Be sure to define your state variables and rate constants.
- A + B → C
- A + B ↔ C
- A + B ↔ 2C
- 2A + 3B ↔ C+D
Please note that the symbol ↔ is used to denote arrows (reactions) in both directions.
Simulating Reaction Kinetics
- E + S ↔ ES → E + P
that we have studied in class. Set the parameters as follows:
- [S0] = 1.0
- [E0] = 0.2
- [ES0] = 0.0
- [P0] = 0.0
- k1 = 2.0
- k-1 = 0.0
- k2 = 10
Plot the output, and save the plot as an image. Post the image on the wiki as the answer to the question.
Shared Journal Assignment
- Store your journal entry in the shared Class Journal Week 3 page. If this page does not exist yet, go ahead and create it (congratulations on getting in first :) )
- Link to your journal entry from your user page.
- Link back from the journal entry to your user page.
- Sign your portion of the journal with the standard wiki signature shortcut (
- Add the "BIOL398-01/S11" category to the end of the wiki page (if someone has not already done so).
- What was the purpose of this assignment?
- What aspect of this assignment came most easily to you?
- What aspect of this assignment was the most challenging for you?
- What (yet) do you not understand?
- What is the relationship between homeostasis and equilibrium?