Brian Dilkes WikiCV
2003 Ph. D., University of Arizona, Department of Plant Sciences
1993 B. L. A., Oberlin College, Biology
2005- Project manager for the NSF-funded “Functional Genomics of Plant Polyploids”, Department of Biology, University of Washington and Genome Center and Section of Plant Biology, University of California Davis, Prof. Luca Comai
2003-2005 USDA postdoctoral fellow, Biology Department, University of Washington, Prof. Luca Comai
1997-2002 Graduate research assistant, University of Arizona, Department of Plant Sciences, Prof. Brian Larkins
1992-1996 Undergraduate researcher, technician and graduate research assistant, University of Arizona, Department of Plant Sciences Prof. Ken Feldmann
USDA-CREES-NRI 2003-35300-13248 “Functional genomic analysis of plant responses to autopolyploidy” 2003-2005
Role: Project Director/PI
NSF Plant Genome Research Project grant DBI-0077774/DBI-0501712 “Functional genomics of plant polyploids” 2005-2010
Role: Project Manager, PI Comai
NIH R01 GM076103-01A1 “Dosage-dependent regulation in hybridization” 2006-2011
Role: Senior Personnel, PI Comai
- Henry IM, Dilkes BP, and Comai L. . pmid:17465685.
- Henry IM, Dilkes BP, and Comai L. . pmid:16995901.
- Josefsson C, Dilkes B, and Comai L. . pmid:16824920.
- Coelho CM, Dante RA, Sabelli PA, Sun Y, Dilkes BP, Gordon-Kamm WJ, and Larkins BA. . pmid:16055680.
- Henry IM, Dilkes BP, Young K, Watson B, Wu H, and Comai L. . pmid:15944363.
- Dilkes BP and Comai L. . pmid:15579806.
- Hunter BG, Beatty MK, Singletary GW, Hamaker BR, Dilkes BP, Larkins BA, and Jung R. . pmid:12368507.
- Gordon-Kamm W, Dilkes BP, Lowe K, Hoerster G, Sun X, Ross M, Church L, Bunde C, Farrell J, Hill P, Maddock S, Snyder J, Sykes L, Li Z, Woo YM, Bidney D, and Larkins BA. . pmid:12185243.
- Dilkes BP, Dante RA, Coelho C, and Larkins BA. . pmid:11901131.
- Larkins BA, Dilkes BP, Dante RA, Coelho CM, Woo YM, and Liu Y. . pmid:11283162.
- Sun Y, Dilkes BP, Zhang C, Dante RA, Carneiro NP, Lowe KS, Jung R, Gordon-Kamm WJ, and Larkins BA. . pmid:10097184.
- Choe S, Dilkes BP, Gregory BD, Ross AS, Yuan H, Noguchi T, Fujioka S, Takatsuto S, Tanaka A, Yoshida S, Tax FE, and Feldmann KA. . pmid:10069828.
- Choe S, Dilkes BP, Fujioka S, Takatsuto S, Sakurai A, and Feldmann KA. . pmid:9490746.
- Dilkes BP, Josefsson C, Speilman M, Weizbauer R, Watson B, Scott R, and Comai L. Modulation of the ploidy hybridization barrier by Dr. Strangelove. In preparation
- Josefsson C, Dilkes BP, Comai L. Natural variation in the species barrier between Arabidopsis spp. reveals a dense epistatic network. In preparation
- Henry IM, Dilkes BP, Tyagi A, Lin H-S, and Comai L. Chromosome number dynamics in Arabidopsis thaliana. In preparation
RELEVANT TECHNICAL PUBLICATIONS
- Gordon-Kamm WJ, Lowe KS, Gregory CA, Hoerster GJ, Larkins BA, Dilkes B, Burnett R 2004 Methods of using viral replicase polynucleotides and polypeptides. U.S. Patent 6,770,800
- Sun Y, Dilkes B, Larkins BA, Lowe KS, Gordon-Kamm WJ, Dante RA 2004 Cell cycle nucleic acids, polypeptides and uses thereof. U.S. Patent 6,777,590
- Gordon-Kamm WJ, Lowe KS Bailey MA, Gregory CA, Hoerster GJ, Larkins BA, Dilkes B, Burnett R, Woo, Y 2002 Methods of using viral replicase polynucleotides and polypeptides. U.S. Patent 6,452,070
- Gordon-Kamm WJ, Lowe KS Bailey MA, Gregory CA, Hoerster GJ, Larkins BA, Dilkes B, Burnett R, Woo, Y 2001 Methods of using viral replicase polynucleotides and polypeptides. U.S. Patent 6,284,947
- Dilkes, BP and Larkins BA 1999 "Transgenic plants: where is this technology leading us" in Biowork II (A. Borem, M.P. Giudice and N.S. Sakiyama, eds.), Federal University of Vicosa, Vicosa, Brasil, 213-240
- Dilkes BP and Feldmann KA. . pmid:9664437.
- Schulz B, Bennett MJ, Dilkes BP, and Feldmann KA 1995 “T-DNA tagging in Arabidopsis thaliana: cloning by gene disruption” in Plant Molecular Biology Manual (Gelvin, S, ed.) Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands pp. K3:1-17
INVITED TALKS AND PRESENTATIONS
“Maternal to paternal ploidy balance – effects on seed size” Translational Seed Biology Meeting, Davis CA Invited, Sept 2007
“Dr. Strangelove and the coordination between offspring and parent" International Conference on Polyploidy Heterosis and Epigenetics, Beijing, China, May 2007
“Polyploidy-regulated hybridization barriers” Plant Animal Genome Conference, San Diego, CA, 2007
“Genome dosage effects in sexual hybridization barriers” Genome Center, UC Davis, Davis, CA, 2006
“Dr. Strangelove, or how I learned to stop worrying and love hybridization barriers” Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 2006
“Dr. Strangelove, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and the interploidy hybridization barrier” Purdue University, West Lafeyette, IN, 2006
“Dosage effects in interploidy crosses of Arabidopsis” Banbury Conference on Gene Dosage Polyploidy and Heterosis, Cold Spring Harbor NY, 2005
“Ploidy hybridization barriers: genotype x karyotype interaction” Plant and Animal Genome Conference, San Diego, CA, 2005
“Epigenetics of Arabidopsis polyploids: gene x genome interactions” Epigenetics Seminar Series Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, 2004
“Cell cycle regulation mediated by maize Rb1 and viral interactors” Maize Genetics Conference, Lake Geneva, WI, 2001
“Cell cycle control in endoreduplicating maize endosperm” Annual meeting of the American Society of Plant Physiology, Baltimore, MD, 2000
“Zea and the art of cell cycle control” Pioneer Hi-Bred Intl., Johnston, IA, 1999
Laboratory sections of PLS312 (plant genetics; two semesters), BIO181 (introductory biology for majors; two semesters), and PLS100-H (Honors introductory plant sciences; one semester) while a graduate teaching assistant at the University of Arizona.
Guest lecture in Introductory Plant Sciences PLS100 H on “Water Potential, Transpiration, and Water Use Efficiency” 1997
Co-taught a self defense course within the Experimental College at Oberlin College
Research supervision of three undergraduates at University of Arizona, five at the University of Washington, and one at the University of California at Davis
Honors Thesis advisor for Sarah Dobrozsi at the University of Washington
Various lectures in BIO527 a seminar-style plant molecular biology course in the Department of Biology at the University of Washington 2003-2006
Lecture in BIOC533 a seminar-style minicourse on nuclear structure and organization in the Department of Biochemistry at the University of Washington Medical School 2005
Research supervision of the Diplom Thesis project of Renate Weizbauer from the University of Cologne, done in Seattle 2005-2006.
SYNERGYSTIC ACTIVITIES and SERVICE
Academic Editor for PLoS One 2006 –
Social Committee, Section of Plant Biology, University of California, Davis 2006
Ad-hoc reviewer for The Plant Cell, Plant Physiology, The Plant Journal, Plant Molecular Biology, The New Phytologist, Genetics, Trends in Plant Science, and Plant Methods.
Ad-hoc reviewer for the National Science Foundation (2004- ) and the University of Washington Royalty Research Fund (2005-2006)
Founding member and Tri-Chair of the University of Washington Post-Doctoral Association 2005-2006
Frequent panelist in efforts to educate graduate students about selecting high-quality postdoctoral training opportunities. Done for the UW Graduate School, UW Biology Department and HHMI 2004-2006
Co-organizer and participant in the Howard Hughes Medical Institute-sponsored workshop “Future Faculty Fellows” at the University of Washington 2004