SynBio @ Caltech
- We are a journal club at Caltech, getting graduate students together to discuss synthetic biology and metabolic engineering.
- First meeting 1/21/2011, 4pm, location TBA.
We'll start with a broad introduction to popular topics in synthetic biology, then figure out the logistics for future weeks - this will most likely involve rotating responsibility for presenting material each week.
- Week 1: Introduction to Synthetic Biology (Emzo and Joe)
- Synthetic biology: new engineering rules for an emerging discipline. Andrianantoandro E, Basu S, Karig DK and Weiss R. Mol Sys Bio. 2:2006.0028 
- Synthetic biology: applications come of age. Khalil AS and Collins JJ. Nature Reviews Genetics 11: 367-379 (2010) 
- Week 2: Transcriptional Circuits (Emzo)
- Construction of a genetic toggle switch in Escherichia coli. Gardner TS, Cantor CR and Collins JJ. Nature 403: 339-342 (2000). 
- To be announced
- Week 3: Oscillators & Dynamics (Emzo)
- A Synthetic Oscillatory Network of Transcriptional Regulators. Elowitz MB, Leibler S. Nature. 403:335-8. (2000) 
- A fast, robust and tunable synthetic gene oscillator. Stricker J, Cookson S, Bennett MR, Mather WH, Tsimring LS, Hasty J. Nature. 456:516-19 (2008) 
- Week 4: RNA Based Regulation (Joe)
- Week 5: Multiple Genes - Gene Network Engineering (Joe)
- Week 6: Multiple Cells - Quorum Sensing and Cell-Cell Communication (Joe)