Standard DNA single or double digest of variable volume V using NEB restriction enzymes.
- X μL DNA template
- NEB Digestion Buffer # (# = 1, 2, 3, or 4)
- 10mg/ml BSA
- Determine compatibility and reaction conditions using Double Digest Finder (double digest only).
- Determine reaction volume V by computing V = [(X + 1)/0.8] μL (single digest) or V = [(X + 1)/0.8] μL (double digest).
- To DNA sample, add
- 0.1V 10X Buffer Y
- 0.1V 10mg/ml BSA
- 1 μL restriction enzyme 1
- 1 μL restriction enzyme 2 (double digest only)
- Incubate 3 hr to overnight at reaction temperature given by NEB (standard = 37 °C).
- Optional: Heat inactivate restriction enzyme(s) by incubation 80 °C 20 min. Not necessary when digestion product is going to be purified or gel extracted, as these procedures remove the enzymes.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
- List troubleshooting tips here.
- You can also link to FAQs/tips provided by other sources such as the manufacturer or other websites.
- Anecdotal observations that might be of use to others can also be posted here.
Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
Relevant papers, books, and websites
or instead, discuss this protocol.
- SC 14:15, 29 June 2012 (EDT):