The Plant Genetics and Silviculture Team studies the genetic structure and basis of adaptation in plants distributed across forested lands in the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S. (Alaska, Oregon and Washington). Our molecular lab uses genotyping and genomics approaches to map the distribution of geographic genetic variation as part of our continuing effort to identify genetic and gene expression responses to weather and climate, both of which play an important role in local adaptation.
- Sep-2012: The tree lab visits conifers in Poison Cove, AK; bears and geneticists all survive.
- Feb-2012: How to use genome skimming (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22174336) and targeted genome enrichment (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22312117) in your plant genetics studies.
- July-2011: Transcriptome analysis for the development of SNP markers in sagebrush, an important restoration shrub. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/12/370
- June-2011: Detailed examples of how to sequence and identify thousands of microsatellites on the Illumina Genome Analyzer. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-0998.2011.03033.x/abstract
- May-2011: What can you get with only 0.5X genome coverage of a milkweed genome? A LOT! See http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/12/211
- May-2011: A plant lab steps into the animal-unknown - Fisher mitogenomes! http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6785/11/10/
- Mar-2011: Taxon-specific microsatellite enrichment, sequencing and detection on a short read sequencer? Yes! Information can be found at http://openwetware.org/wiki/Conifermicrosat
- Aug-2010: "An introduction to next-generation sequencing". This all-day workshop was held at the 2010 and 2012 Botanical Society of America Meeting. Information can be found in the Short_read_toolbox" archive at http://openwetware.org/wiki/Short_read_toolbox
- Dec-2009: 37 genomes! Parks et al., "Increasing phylogenetic resolution at low taxonomic levels using massively parallel sequencing of chloroplast genomes." BMC Biol 2009; 7 84. See commentary, "Christmas Tree asks 'Who's my Daddy?", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG70_WMYfdY
USDA Forest Service
Pacific Northwest Research Station
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Corvallis, OR 97331