Filling the pressure sterilizer
- Fill the outer container with 3/4" to 1" inch of water (~1.3 L)
- Fill the inner basket with the stuff to autoclave. Loosen bottle caps and add autoclave tape to each item
- Put the inner basket into the outer container. Align the steam-tube chimney with the steam tube dangling from the inner lid.
- Close the lid. Tighten two knobs at a time, choosing pairs across from one another
- open the pressure-relief valve by flipping it upright (not at an angle)
Heating the pressure sterilizer
- Place the "Bayou Classic" propane burner *outside* on a concrete surface. Attach the propane tank. Check for leaks.
- To light the "Bayou Classic" propane burner, close the air-control ring around the gas line so there is just a crack
- Open the propane tank valve. Bring a flame to the burner, holding your hand underneath it. Slowly crack open the regulator valve.
- After ignition, open the air-control ring and regulator valve to achieve a jet-like flame.
- Wait 2 minutes after the plume of steam released from the valve is continuous, then flip the release valve shut. It should be roughly at a 90-degree angle.
- Pay close attention to the pressure gauge: *it only takes 5 minutes to heat the pressure-sterilizer to 20 PSI*, which is the upper limit of the safe operating range.
- When the pressure approaches 17 PSI, turn the regulator valve almost all the way off, to achieve a low-pressure, orange flame. Reduce the air-control ring's air gap.
- Maintain 17-19 PSI for 10 minutes. This is equivalent to 126 C or 259 F.
Emptying the Pressure Sterilizer
- turn off the propane tank valve first. This will cause the burner to consume the propane remaining in the line. Then close the regulator valve.
- open the pressure-control valve on the lid of the sterilizer. It should be straight up-and-down.
- wait for the pressure to return to ambient conditions.
- using autoclave gloves, loosen the lock nuts on the lid in a symmetrical way. Open the lid.
- if the lid is stuck, insert a large flat-head screwdriver into the gap between the lid and body. *do not use the screwdriver as a lever.* Instead, rotate the screwdriver to the tip applies pressure to the lid.
- remove the contents of the sterilizer. After the water cools, completely empty the sterilizer and dry it out. Leave it on its shelf with the lid cracked.