(Difference between revisions)
(New page: ==Characteristics== ===Extension rate=== *How rapidly a particular DNA polymerase enzyme synthesizes a complementary strand. ===Processivity=== *A measure of how strongly the polymerase bi...)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
- How rapidly a particular DNA polymerase enzyme synthesizes a complementary strand.
- A measure of how strongly the polymerase binds to template DNA. Processivity doesn't affect extension rate. However, it has a strong influence on the absolute length of complementary DNA strand that can be made.
- Proofreading is when the multi-functional enzyme adds a deoxynucleotide and then goes back and rechecks the template to complement interaction to make sure the correct nucleotide was added.
- Proofreading polymerases are usually multimeric and thus more expense to make.
- Like all DNA polymerases, proofreading polymerases add an adenine deoxynucleotide to the 3' end of the complementary strand. Proofreading ensures that this nucleotide is removed again leaving blunt-ended DNA.