- Stay SAFE!
- Be CONSIDERATE of others (their stuff, needs, space, etc)
- Always ASK SOMEONE if you’re not sure about something. First ask the iGEM graduate advisors before asking other members of the Endy lab.
- THINK before you do.
- CLEAN UP after yourself, both on a day-to-day basis, and once the competition is over. If you’ve caused a spill in a centrifuge, clean it up.
- Maintain a CLEAN workspace.
- REFILL the stocks of pipette tip boxes above the PCR machines if you are taking the penultimate or the last box of a kind (e.g. 1000ul tips)
- If we’re out of anything (e.g. gloves, cuvettes), ASK your graduate leaders on how to reorder.
- Maintain STERILE technique.
- ASK someone before you move their stuff.
- Before putting a container into the metal tray for cleaning/sterilizing, REMOVE any labels, BLEACH (if biological material) and RINSE the container.
- BALANCE the centrifuges.
- ASK SOMEONE how to use a piece of equipment if you haven’t used it before.
- If you use the roller drums or shakers in the 30C or 37C rooms, remember to TURN THEM BACK ON.
- CLOSE refrigerator doors!!
- Use YOUR OWN master stocks of chemicals and supplies; we’ll tell you which other supplies you’re allowed to use.
- READ PROTOCOLS before you attempt them.
- Keep any proteins (endonucleases, ligase, Taq supermix) always ON ICE
- CHANGE TIPS between aliquots of important stocks.
- WEAR GLOVES when working w/ dangerous/sensitive chemicals (phenol, RNA, etc).
- Keep a good LAB NOTEBOOK so you know what you did.
- LABEL TUBES
- Store GLYCEROLS appropriately
- If you did something wrong, CONFESS and tell someone. You won’t get in trouble for accidents, but you’ll get in trouble for not letting people know.
- Don’t EVER COMPROMISE SAFETY!
- Don’t Be too shy to ASK QUESTIONS
- Don’t Start something without THINKING about what you’re doing
- Don’t Use a MACHINE without having received training on it.
- Don’t POUR hazardous or unknown chemicals down the sink.
- Don’t Leave a door to a cold or warm room OPEN.
- Don’t IGNORE equipment alarms
- Don’t USE master stocks other than your own without permission.
- Don’t Leave your stuff lying around in other people’s areas.
- Don’t EAT/DRINK in lab (go to the tea room to eat lunch and hang out).
- Don’t PLAY MUSIC out loud (not everyone likes your taste).
- Don’t DATE people you work with.*
* May occasionally result in marriage.