DataONE:New Contributor Tips
This DataONE OpenWetWare site contains informal notes for several research projects funded through DataONE. DataONE is a collaboration among many partner organizations, and is funded by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) under a Cooperative Agreement.
- Add yourself to the DataONE:People page!
- Please put the DataONE header at the top of new pages. To do this, make the following the first line of the new page:
- To upload a file, click on "Upload file" on left menu, then to link to it in wiki text like this:
*'''~~~~''':will preface a comment with your name and a timestamp like this
- Heather A Piwowar 00:34, 10 June 2010 (EDT): What a useful tip!
Other useful tips
- When you have large tables of data, link to publicly-viewable Google Spreadsheets and Google Fusion tables.
- For Google Spreadsheets and other interm-research projects, please include a README tab that gives context for the project and the preliminary nature of the data. In part, include a paragraph like this, ideally with a link to a relevant project page in OWW and your email address:
NOTE: This data is available in the spirit of Open Notebook Science as part of an ongoing research project. The data and calculations here are preliminary and may be misleading, incomplete, or incorrect. Please check the project page at http://www.openwetware.org/wiki/DataONE for more information, and contact us if you have questions or suggestions.
- For data that is actively being collected and validated, go a step further and add extra context to leave no room for confusion:
WARNING: Data collection and validation are ongoing. Right now this dataset is definitely incomplete and likely contains errors.
- Can embed google spreadsheets (and docs and presentations) in OWW pages: instructions here Widget:Google_Spreadsheet
- Note I think you have to make your Google Spreadsheet Share->Publish as a webpage for it to work
- Other wiki editing tips here Help
- Add new tips here as you learn them, to help the next person :)