The Ellis Lab is actively involved in advancing foundational synthetic biology and applying synthetic biology to a variety of different research areas. Our research is interdisciplinary, with members coming from biology, chemistry, maths and engineering backgrounds. The laboratory is part of CSynBI, The Centre for Synthetic Biology and Innovation and The Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College, London. A major focus of the lab is studying the construction of regulatory networks and improving methods to assemble complex genetic devices in cells.
Follow Tom Ellis on Twitter at @drtomellis
- Jan 2012: Ben Reeve awarded 'Bioengineer of the year' at the Department Christmas Dinner
- Dec 2011: Awarded a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant for Rapid Protease Detection using Synthetic Biology.
- Nov 2011: Tom Ellis will be speaking on 2nd Nov at 17th IBC 2011 Conference in Beijing, China.
- Oct 2011: Welcoming PhD candidate Ben Reeve to the group.
- Sep 2011: Tom Ellis will be speaking on 2nd Sep at IEEE's EMBC 2011 Conference in Boston, USA.
- Aug 2011: Check out the Imperial iGEM team 2011, working to make roots grow better where they're needed.
- Jul 2011: Fabio Chizzolini has successfully defended his MSc Thesis at Padova University, getting 100% cum laudae.
- Jun 2011: Tom Ellis, Arturo Casini and Ben Blount will all be at SB5.0, Stanford Uni, June 15th to 17th
- May 2011: Our review on DNA Assembly has been featured in Nature and Nature Methods
- Apr 2011: We have created a GFP variant expressing stably in a Thermophile for promoter characterisation in high-temperature organisms. It REALLY glows.
- Mar 2011: Talks of our research are being used in an interactive artwork: Public Misunderstandings of Science currently at Lab Life at The Lighthouse, Brighton.
- Feb 2011: E.Chromi project with James King and Alexandra Daisy Ginsberg, nominated for UK Design Museum's 2010 Design Of The Year.
- Jan 2011: Critical Review of DNA ASSEMBLY methods published online at Integrative Biology. PDF is available here.
- Dec 2010: Speaking at the International Conference on Synthetic Biology at Genopole, Evry, France - Dec 15th and 16th.
- Nov 2010: Talking at Imperial College's Autumn Symposium on Systems and Synthetic Biology on 11th November and at TD Bioinformatics at SCK.CEN in Mol, Belgium on 19th November
- Oct 2010: Welcoming Ben Blount and PhD candidates Rhys Algar, Arturo Casini and Elena Martinez-Klimova to the group
- Sep 2010: Attending Synthetic Biology and Open Source: Normative Cultures of Biology at BIOS @ LSE, London
- Aug 2010: Helping Imperial's 2010 iGEM team - Parasight
- Jul 2010: Writing a review on gene-to-genome DNA assembly methods
- Jun 2010: Attended the 2nd International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation at DAC in Anaheim, California
- May 2010: Talking at Nature Live! on Thurs 27th 7pm at the Natural History Museum, London