The Ellis Lab is actively involved in advancing foundational synthetic biology and applying synthetic biology to a variety of different research areas. Our research is interdisciplinary, with members coming from biology, chemistry, maths and engineering backgrounds. The laboratory is part of CSynBI, The Centre for Synthetic Biology and Innovation and The Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College, London. The major focuses of the lab are studying the construction of regulatory networks and understanding how to build a designer genome from parts.
HIRING: JULY 2013 - we are looking for a talented bioinformatics graduate to work on genome design software. Please email Tom Ellis for details
Follow Tom Ellis on Twitter at @drtomellis
- Jul 2013: We are looking forward to welcoming the synthetic biology world to Imperial for the SB6.0 Conference and the 2nd annual synthetic yeast genome meeting.
- Jun 2013: Our PNAS paper from our collaboration with Xiao Wang's lab at ASU is published
- May 2013: Tom Ellis will be speaking at the GARNET Synthetic Biology workshop on May 22nd.
- Apr 2013: Ollie's review on Building-in Biosafety for Synthetic Biology is published online in Microbiology. Preprint manuscript is here
- Mar 2013: Ben Blount and Tom Ellis will be speaking at the British Yeast Group Meeting, Nottingham, Mar 20th.
- Feb 2013: Welcoming Joshua Smit, Joachim de Jonge and Thomas Hargest to the Ellis Lab
- Jan 2013: Welcoming Dr Francesca Ceroni to our group.
- Dec 2012: Tom Ellis will be speaking to Kent Fungal Group on Dec 10th
- Nov 2012: Tom Ellis will be speaking at Trinity College Science Society in Cambridge on Nov 13th
- Oct 2012: Welcoming Ollie Wright to the lab, and welcoming back Tim and George for PhDs
- Sep 2012: Tom Ellis will be speaking on 19th Sept at the CRICK Systems and Synthetic Biology Event in London.
- Aug 2012: We're all glued to the Olympics. The Triathlon comes right by us. Work?
- Jul 2012: Our article on yeast fractal growth is in the Leverhulme Trust Newsletter
- Jun 2012: Our GEN Magazine interview on synthetic biology is out. Several of us will also be at the enGENEious meeting in Oxford on 25-26 June
- May 2012: Ben Reeve will be exhibiting our synbio work at the Imperial Festival on Fri-Sat 11-12 May.
- Apr 2012: The Ellis Lab sign-up to make Synthetic Yeast Chromosome XI at the 1st Sc2.0 International Meeting.
- Mar 2012: Our paper on promoter libraries and orthogonal TAL-effector-based regulation is published in PLoS One. Official press release is here.
- Feb 2012: Our review Construction of synthetic regulatory networks in yeast is published by FEBS Letters
- Jan 2012: Ben Reeve awarded 'Bioengineer of the year' at the Department Christmas Dinner
- Dec 2011: Awarded a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant for Rapid Protease Detection using Synthetic Biology.
- Nov 2011: Tom Ellis will be speaking on 2nd Nov at 17th IBC 2011 Conference in Beijing, China.
- Oct 2011: Welcoming PhD candidate Ben Reeve to the group.
- Sep 2011: Tom Ellis will be speaking on 2nd Sep at IEEE's EMBC 2011 Conference in Boston, USA.
- Aug 2011: Check out the Imperial iGEM team 2011, working to make roots grow better where they're needed.
- Jul 2011: Fabio Chizzolini has successfully defended his MSc Thesis at Padova University, getting 100% cum laudae.
- Jun 2011: Tom Ellis, Arturo Casini and Ben Blount will all be at SB5.0, Stanford Uni, June 15th to 17th
- May 2011: Our review on DNA Assembly has been featured in Nature and Nature Methods
- Apr 2011: We have created a GFP variant expressing stably in a Thermophile for promoter characterisation in high-temperature organisms. It REALLY glows.
- Mar 2011: Talks of our research are being used in an interactive artwork: Public Misunderstandings of Science currently at Lab Life at The Lighthouse, Brighton.
- Feb 2011: E.Chromi project with James King and Alexandra Daisy Ginsberg, nominated for UK Design Museum's 2010 Design Of The Year.
- Jan 2011: Critical Review of DNA ASSEMBLY methods published online at Integrative Biology. PDF is available here.
- Dec 2010: Speaking at the International Conference on Synthetic Biology at Genopole, Evry, France - Dec 15th and 16th.
- Nov 2010: Talking at Imperial College's Autumn Symposium on Systems and Synthetic Biology on 11th November and at TD Bioinformatics at SCK.CEN in Mol, Belgium on 19th November
- Oct 2010: Welcoming Ben Blount and PhD candidates Rhys Algar, Arturo Casini and Elena Martinez-Klimova to the group
- Sep 2010: Attending Synthetic Biology and Open Source: Normative Cultures of Biology at BIOS @ LSE, London
- Aug 2010: Helping Imperial's 2010 iGEM team - Parasight
- Jul 2010: Writing a review on gene-to-genome DNA assembly methods
- Jun 2010: Attended the 2nd International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation at DAC in Anaheim, California
- May 2010: Talking at Nature Live! on Thurs 27th 7pm at the Natural History Museum, London
Latest bookmarked papers
Banner illustration by Harry Campbell