Focuses on modern technologies with exponential growth and their impact on global quality of life through weekly updated Wiki class project (in-depth case studies on personal genomics and/or biofuels). Integrating knowledge, tools for research, and commercial decision-making concerning new aspects of bioengineering, personalized medicine, genetically modified organisms, and stem cells. Interplays of biophysical, ecological, economic, and social/ethical modeling will be explored through multi-disciplinary teams of students, and individual brief reports.
Potential course projects
- Bioweather map. Collection and use of real-time sequencing data to track spread of diseases, virus outbreaks, etc.
- Bioenergy. Integrated metabolic, genetic, economic, process, environmental modeling.
H. sapiens 2.0
- Personal Genome Project – What could we do with a ten (or a million) full genome (or exome) sequences?
- Meeting time: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10:00—11:30 am
- Location: Cambridge campus, exact room to be determined
- No exams
- No prerequisites
- 25% Participation
- 25% Personal wiki page (weekly assignments)
- 25% 5-minute presentations
- 25% Contribution to group project
Background Info and previous class projects