September 26, 2013
- Perform restriction digest for CMV promoter
| DNA (plasmid) || 10 μL
| XbaI|| 1.0 μL
| PstI|| 1.0 μL
| Green 10x FastDigest buffer || 0μL
| dH2O || 18 μL
| || 30 μL --> 37°C/ ~10 min.
- Measure the following into 1.5 mL tubes.
| 30% PEG || 50 μL|| 33 μL || 23 μL|| 17 μL || 7 μL
| DNA|| 15μL||15 μL||15 μL||15 μL||15 μL
| dH2O|| 35 μL||52 μL||62 μL||68 μL||78 μL
| Total || 100 μL || 100 μL|| 100 μL|| 100 μL|| 100 μL
- Centrifuge for 15 minutes at 10,000g.
DNA Clean & Concentrator
- Although there was no pellet, ran a DNA Clean & Concentrator on samples.
- Add 2 volumes of DNA Binder Buffer to each DNA sample (200 μL).
- Place mixture in spin column into 2 ml collection tube.
- Centrifuge at full speed for 30 seconds.
- Add 20 μL of DNA Wash Buffer and centrifuge for 30 seconds. Repeat this step.
- Place Zymo-Spin Column into a new 1.5 ml tube. Add 20 μL of water directly to column matrix and spin to elute DNA.
- Follow steps for gel electrophoresis.
- Orient top notch of gel electrophoresis apparatus. Place gel tray into larger tray.
- Fill gel flask with up to 60 ml of TA buffer.
- Create 1% gel by putting .6 grams of agarose into flask.
- Microwave agarose solution for 40 seconds
- Using hot gloves, grab flask out of microwave and swirl flask vigorously. Place back in microwave for 40 more seconds.
- When flask is taken out of microwave, make sure that the agarose is completed dissolved.
- Set up wells on gel electrophoresis apparatus. The mold for the first digest is B-10. Use the thick "teeth" and slip in the notches.
- Add EtBr (ethidium bromide) to the agarose gel. There should be 1 microliter of EtBr per 10ml of agarose gel. Therefore, 6 µL.
- Pour gel into tray.
- Wash the agarose gel flask.
- Run gel for 45 min at 100 V. Check gel under UV light.
Higher molecular mass DNA precipitates at lower PEG concentrations than lower molecular mass DNA, according to Lis and Schleif 1975, NAR. I kept DNA from the supernatant and discarded the precipitated DNA.
Therefore, I should see (larger or smaller?) bands at 2% PEG and (larger or smaller?) bands at 15% PEG.