Help:Adding new users
You need to be an administrator (or perhaps a sysop) to do this. If you do add a user, make sure that there is an email address connected to each and every account added.
- Login using your account.
- Go to the special pages (on the side bar) and click: Log in / create an account.
- The login screen will open--click Create an Account.
- There it should have the following boxes:
Your user name
your email (please include so other users can email you through the site)
your real name
- Put all the information for the new user in these boxes. If you are logged in, your name and password will be in the boxes, just erase it and fill in the new user's information.
- After you type in the info, there are two buttons you can click:
- Create new account: This will add the user. It may annoyingly log you in as that user. It will also send an email like this to the address you specify:
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:02:04 -0500 From: email@example.com To: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: OpenWetWare e-mail address confirmation Someone, probably you from IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, has registered an account "Username" with this e-mail address on OpenWetWare. To confirm that this account really does belong to you and activate e-mail features on OpenWetWare, open this link in your browser: http://openwetware.org/wiki/Special:Confirmemail/a_big_hexidecimal If this is *not* you, don't follow the link. This confirmation code will expire at 15:02, 21 December 2005.
- By email: This should add the user and send an email like this to the address you specify:
From: email@example.com Date: December 17, 2005 1:58:09 PM CST To: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Password reminder from OpenWetWare Someone (probably you, from IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) requested that we send you a new OpenWetWare login password. The password for user "Username" is now "password". You should log in and change your password now.
- Note that when you click "By email" the password which is sent is computer generated and not the password you specify. It is the correct password, though.
Remember to make sure each user has a functional email address linked to it.
Finally, to get the process started, we recommend putting a one line descriptor of the person that you added on their user page for community purposes.