Background Information on Folate
Folate, the generic term for the various forms of Vitamin B9, is an essential vitamin because it is heavily involved in amino acid synthesis as well as single-carbon transfer reactions. Folate deficiencies in women can result in birth defects such as neural tube defects and other spinal cord malformations. As important as folate is, humans are unable to produce folate, and so must obtain it from eating foods such as green leafy vegetables or folate-fortified cereals . An engineered strain of bacteria that would constantly release folate into the gut would reduce the need to fortify breads and cereals with folate, as well as reduce folate-related birth defects in regions with little access to folate-containing foods. In addition to all the reasons stated above, folate is an ideal vitamin to be produced in the gut because, unlike many other vitamins, it has been shown to be absorbed in physiologically relevant quantities in the large intestine.
Folate Biosynthesis Pathway
Folate Detection Methods
- Sybesma W, Burgess C, Starrenburg M, van Sinderen D, and Hugenholtz J. . pmid:15113564.
- Asrar FM and O'Connor DL. . pmid:16081276.
- Bernstein JR, Bulter T, and Liao JC. . pmid:18396082.
- Camilo E, Zimmerman J, Mason JB, Golner B, Russell R, Selhub J, and Rosenberg IH. . pmid:8613033.
- Bermingham A and Derrick JP. . pmid:12111724.
- Gabelli SB, Bianchet MA, Xu W, Dunn CA, Niu ZD, Amzel LM, and Bessman MJ. . pmid:17698004.
- Sybesma W, Starrenburg M, Kleerebezem M, Mierau I, de Vos WM, and Hugenholtz J. . pmid:12788700.
- Sheng H, Knecht HJ, Kudva IT, and Hovde CJ. . pmid:16885287.
- Morita M, Asami K, Tanji Y, and Unno H. . pmid:11386882.
- Yun J, Park J, Park N, Kang S, and Ryu S. . pmid:18051328.
- Zhu T, Pan Z, Domagalski N, Koepsel R, Ataai MM, and Domach MM. . pmid:16269750.
- Wegkamp A, Starrenburg M, de Vos WM, Hugenholtz J, and Sybesma W. . pmid:15128580.
- Wegkamp A, van Oorschot W, de Vos WM, and Smid EJ. . pmid:17308179.