IGEM:Harvard/2009/Notebook/Harvard iGEM 2010/2010/06/18

From OpenWetWare

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Team Vector)
(Team Vector)
Line 58: Line 58:
<p>To create the vector insert for the E plasmids, we designed primers such that we could amplify the promotor sequence present in the original plasmid and attach it to the biobrick multiple cloning site, bracketed with the appropriate restriction sites such that we could insert it into our digested backbone. The forward primer started with the HindIII restriction site to match the backbone, then included the biobrick cloning site, then the beginning of the promotor sequence to be amplified. The reverse primer started with the NheI restriction site (so that when ligated to the SpeI site in the backbone, a scar site would be created), then the end of the promotor sequence to be amplified.</p>
<p>To create the vector insert for the E plasmids, we designed primers such that we could amplify the promotor sequence present in the original plasmid and attach it to the biobrick multiple cloning site, bracketed with the appropriate restriction sites such that we could insert it into our digested backbone. The forward primer started with the HindIII restriction site to match the backbone, then included the biobrick cloning site, then the beginning of the promotor sequence to be amplified. The reverse primer started with the NheI restriction site (so that when ligated to the SpeI site in the backbone, a scar site would be created), then the end of the promotor sequence to be amplified.</p>
<p>We then ran a PCR reaction on the plasmids with these primers to obtain the vector insert, and digested with HindIII and NheI to prepare the inserts for insertion into the backbone</p>
<p>We then ran a PCR reaction on the plasmids with these primers to obtain the vector insert, and digested with HindIII and NheI to prepare the inserts for insertion into the backbone</p>
 +
<p>We plan to use annealed oligos to create the inserts for the O1 and O2 vectors.</p>
 +
<p>We ligated the inserts with the backbones using T4 ligase. We transformed into NEB Turbo Competent E. coli cells and plated on LB and Kanamycin (50ug/ml). We picked colonies from each plate and made cultures.</p>
 +
</html>
</html>

Revision as of 15:37, 18 June 2010

iGEM iGarden Main project page
Previous entry      Next entry

Week 1 Summary (6/18/2010)

Team Vector

Aim: To biobrick agrobacteria vectors

We obtained the following pORE agrobacteria vectors from TAIR.

Name Original Name Description Plant Resistance
V1 pORE_O1 Agrobacterium vector open series pat
V2 pORE_O2 Agrobacterium vector open series nptll
V3 pORE_E3 Agrobacterium vector with ENTCUP2 promoter pat
V4 pORE_E4 Agrobacterium vector with ENTCUP2 promoter nptll
V5 pORE_R1 Agrobacterium vector with gusA reporter nptll
V6 pORE_R3 Agrobacterium vector with smgfp reporter nptll

To create the vector backbones we digested the E and R plasmids with HindIII and SpeI, and the O plasmids with SacII and SpeI. We ran the digested backbones on a gel and purified using the Qiaquick Gel Extraction kit. IMAGE HERE

To create the vector insert for the E plasmids, we designed primers such that we could amplify the promotor sequence present in the original plasmid and attach it to the biobrick multiple cloning site, bracketed with the appropriate restriction sites such that we could insert it into our digested backbone. The forward primer started with the HindIII restriction site to match the backbone, then included the biobrick cloning site, then the beginning of the promotor sequence to be amplified. The reverse primer started with the NheI restriction site (so that when ligated to the SpeI site in the backbone, a scar site would be created), then the end of the promotor sequence to be amplified.

We then ran a PCR reaction on the plasmids with these primers to obtain the vector insert, and digested with HindIII and NheI to prepare the inserts for insertion into the backbone

We plan to use annealed oligos to create the inserts for the O1 and O2 vectors.

We ligated the inserts with the backbones using T4 ligase. We transformed into NEB Turbo Competent E. coli cells and plated on LB and Kanamycin (50ug/ml). We picked colonies from each plate and made cultures.

Team Flavor

Team Allergy

Progress

  1. Identified allergens in arabidopsis, strawberries,tomatoes, and carrots and created primers for amplifying out these allergens (see primers and sequences)
  2. Extracted cDNA (rna extraction followed by rt-pcr) from strawberries and tried to PCR out our strawberry allergen (Fra a 1), but were unble ato do so
  3. Looked to find introns ~ 800 bp to use to create our hairpins since it was difficult to acquire pHannibal vector w/ the pdk intron

Future Directions

  1. Look towards ordering amiRNAfor silencing
  2. Waiting on arabidopsis plants to grow to extract genomic DNA (mon)
  3. Look to find introns to use in creation of hairpin DNA
  4. Cloning (digesting/ligating our sense/antisense/intron sequences necessary for hairpin creation into one vector to create biobricks)

Team Fence


Personal tools