IGEM:IMPERIAL/2007/Experimental Design/Phase2/Protocol 1.0
< IGEM:IMPERIAL | 2007 | Experimental Design | Phase2
- We need to test these three methods to see which is the best for constructing a calibration curve
- Three tests will be carried out to determine which is the best approach:
- Experiment 1 - Test the difference in GFP dilutions in water and cell extract
- Experiment 2 - Test the same moles of GFP in different total volumes
- Experiment 3 - Test the same [GFP] in different cell extract volumes but keeping total volume the same. This experiment will show the extent of the absorbance of flourescence by cell extract
- To be carries out on 20/08/2007
- 8x Eppendorf tubes
- Eppendorf Rack
- 2ml Tube
- 10x150ul of Home made Cell extract from freezer. (x10 allows for spares)
- 1x Solution of unknown [GFP] from fridge. It is a clear eppendorf tube
- Distilled water
- We do not yet have our sample of purified GFP and so we are using a sample of unknown [GFP] in solution from last years Imperials iGEM team. We can use this sample because we do not need to know the exact concentration of GFP. We have already tested this GFP solution and have found a dilution of 100 fold to give a strong reading in the fluorometer.
- First perform a 100 fold dilution on the unknown[GFP] solution. Label a 2ml tube x100 then to this add 20ul of unknown [GFP] and place in a 2ml tube. To this then add 1980ul of distilled water, first use a p1000 to remove 1000ul then 980ul. Return the sample of unknown [GFP] back to fridge
- Now we can prepare for experiment 1. Collect 2x Eppendorf tubes and label "1.a" and "1.b.". To each of these tubes add 200ul of x100 GFP solution. Then to tube 1.a Add 200ul of home made Cell Extract and mix thoroughly. Then to tube 1.b. add 200ul of distiled water and mix thoroughly. Return tubes to the rack.
- Now we can prepare experiment 2. First label three 1.5ml eppendorf tubes with 2.a, 2.b and 2.c. Then remove 200ul of the x100 dilution into each eppendorf tube. Now add the following volumes of distilled water to the following tubes:
2.a - Add 100ul
2.b- Add 200ul
2.c- Add 400ul
- Place these three eppendorf tubes in a rack and put to the side until loading up the plate
- Now prepare for experiment 3. Label 3x eppendorf tubes as follows; "3.a", "3.b" and "3.c".
- To the 3.a tube add 100ul of the x100 solution.Place this tube in the rack.
- To the 3.b tube add 200ul of the x100 solution, then add 200ul of the distilled water. This solution is now x200 fold dilution of the unkown [GFP] solution.Place this tube in the rack.
- To the 3.c tube remove 200ul of the x200 solution, then add 200ul of distilled water. This solution is now x400 fold dilution of the unkown [GFP] solution. Place this tube in the rack.
Loading the Plate
- Follow the schematic for the plate and begin by loading the in vitro expression system into the correct wells. Before loading in the samples vortex the tubes for a few seconds to mix the solution.