- Excellent Summary of Bacterial Metal Resistance (a must read)
- ://openwetware.org/index.php?title=IGEM:MIT/2007/Heavy_Metals&action=edit Editing IGEM:MIT/2007/Heavy Metals - OpenWetWare
- Silver S and Phung le T. . pmid:16133099.
- A Good Overview on Pollution (though slightly back-dated): Quantitative assessment of worldwide contamination of air, water and soil by trace metals 
- A summary of Pollutants from the EPA 
- Review Papers on Bioremediation
- Paul D, Pandey G, Pandey J, and Jain RK. . pmid:15734556.
- Valls M and de Lorenzo V. . pmid:12413663.
- Paul - discusses advantages/disadvantages/problems of bioremediation
- Valls - discusses various kinds of bioremediation systems
Heavy Metal Binding Proteins/Peptides
- Samuelson P, Wernérus H, Svedberg M, and Ståhl S. . pmid:10698802.
- Pazirandeh M, Wells BM, and Ryan RL. . pmid:9758845.
- Kotrba P, Dolecková L, de Lorenzo V, and Ruml T. . pmid:10049868.
- Mejáre M and Bülow L. . pmid:11164556.
- Lu Y, Berry SM, and Pfister TD. . pmid:11710062.
- Bae W, Chen W, Mulchandani A, and Mehra RK. . pmid:11042548.
- Cd causes damage to cells primarily by the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), which causes single-strand DNA damage and disrupts the synthesis of nucleic acids and proteins. Cd is also an inhibitor of the DNA mismatch repair system…Results of this study confirmed that Cd toxicity caused profound changes in gene expression in which several stress response systems were induced simultaneously.
- known carcinogen
- Most recent(June06) paper on e.coli bioaccumulation of Cd
- Deng X, Yi XE, and Liu G. . pmid:16890348.
- MCL(Maximum Containment Level): 5 ppb
- MCLG(Maximum Containment Level Goal): 5 ppb
- Staessen JA, Lauwerys RR, Ide G, Roels HA, Vyncke G, and Amery A. . pmid:7911869.
- Satarug S, Baker JR, Urbenjapol S, Haswell-Elkins M, Reilly PE, Williams DJ, and Moore MR. . pmid:12505433.
Cadmium Contamination Sites
- Ishihara T, Kobayashi E, Okubo Y, Suwazono Y, Kido T, Nishijyo M, Nakagawa H, and Nogawa K. . pmid:11376862.
- Plachimada, India: 
- statistics on Pb, Cd, Cr levels in well water surrounding a Coca-Cola plant (2006)
- pictures too :)
Pubmed: Plasmid pI258 (from S.aureus) cadmium resistance (cadA) gene, complete cds 
- Brocklehurst KR, Megit SJ, and Morby AP. . pmid:12901859.
- Brocklehurst - contains sequence for ZntR/CadR and PzntA/PcadA
- Semmie's article on CadC linked with GFP 
- MCL: 2 ppb
- MCLG: 2 ppb
- 20 ppb makes the fish mercury buildup significant
- Detection (to assess our system):
- Gold Nanoparticles http://www.cah.ucf.edu/news/2005-Mercurynose.php
- Hamlett NV, Landale EC, Davis BH, and Summers AO. . pmid:1328156.
- Park SJ, Wireman J, and Summers AO. . pmid:1312997.
- Condee CW and Summers AO. . pmid:1334070.
- Gambill BD and Summers AO. . pmid:4092936.
- Hansen LH and Sørensen SJ. . pmid:11094290.
- Condee - Contains sequence for merO/P region
- Hansen - Plasmid with Pmer, MerR, and reporter (lux, lac, or gfp) tested in e.coli
Current Industry Filtration Techniques
Mercury: approved by EPA - Coagulation/Filtration; Granular Activated Carbon; Lime softening; Reverse osmosis.