Circuit project ideas:
- Genetic Circuit basics: http://www.princeton.edu/~rweiss/bio-programming/weiss-natural-computing-2003.pdf
Sequential cell color change
- ex. Green->Red->Yellow->repeat.
- System: organic layer & bacterial aquatic layer in liquid form. Shake to combine organic layer w/ bacterial aquatic layer -> initiate color change.
- Structure: Messenger protein downstream of color protein, downstream of organic molecule-activated promoter
- Rather than shake, stir by thermal convection or a magnetic stirrer
- Organic compound: hydrophobic, heavy (won't evaporate), activates promoter
- Promoter: lac, responds to organic
- Color proteins
- Bioluminescense : proteins like "M-Cherry" instead of flourescent proteins...
(Peking U did something like this--sequential color change--but UV activated. MIT team idea: bacterial lava lamp?)