|Customize your entry pages|
Circuit project ideas:
- Genetic Circuit basics: http://www.princeton.edu/~rweiss/bio-programming/weiss-natural-computing-2003.pdf
Sequential cell color change
- ex. Green->Red->Yellow->repeat.
- System: organic layer & bacterial aquatic layer in liquid form. Shake to combine organic layer w/ bacterial aquatic layer -> initiate color change.
- Structure: Messenger protein downstream of color protein, downstream of organic molecule-activated promoter
- Organic compound: hydrophobic, heavy (won't evaporate), is recognized by cell
- Recognition compound(s): recognize organic compound and synthesize/activate something that activates promoter
- Promoter: probably lac
- Color proteins
O -> A
A+B -> C, GFP
A+C -> B, YFP
- Degradation tags on A, B, C, GFP, YFP, strongest on A, weakest on B and C.
- Intended result: shake once: GFP, shake again: YFP, shake again, GFP, etc.
- Bioluminescense : proteins like "M-Cherry" instead of flourescent proteins...
- Rather than shake, stir by thermal convection or a magnetic stirrer
(Peking U did something like this--sequential color change--but UV activated. MIT team idea: bacterial lava lamp?)
Nimrah Ahmed 12:26, 15 May 2008 (EDT)
Work Day Monday 5/19/2008
- Introduction to lab & equipment