Janet B. Matsen:Fruit Foraging at the University of Washington
back to Janet B. Matsen
I love fruit! I pick it all around town. At the University of Washington, you can find:
- in the medicinal herb gardens
- strawberry tree
- red fruit in a spiky coat. Ripens in September-October. Some people find the exterior unpalatable, but I'm keen.
- (of course!) starts mid-August
- European Cornel
- apples along the burke gilman
- these varieties ripen late August to Early september. Best picked with a picking basket on a telescoping pole. Watch out for cyclists if standing on the bike trail! The back end of the stick gets... dangerous.