- B.S. in Chemistry, University of Maryland College Park, 1996
- B.S. in Psychology, University of Maryland College Park, 1996
Science stuff I know something about...
- tmRNA (or SsrA/10Sa RNA for you purists)
- energy-dependent proteolysis in bacteria
- The RNA World
- molecular biology in a world without kits
- in vitro selection and evolution of nucleic acids
- generation of nucleic acid and protein libraries
- in vitro RNA techniques
- nucleic acid-protein interactions (in vitro analysis and bacterial in vivo analysis)
- fishing experiments to look for things that interact with your RNA/DNA/protein of interest
- PCR (even colony PCR, although it is not a separate skill)
- bacterial protein expression/purification
- in vivo assays with E. coli i.e. analyzing effects on proteins/RNA
- molecular cloning
- Western/Northern/Southern blot analysis
- oligonucleotide synthesis
- RNA/DNA sequencing ("old school" and "new school" techniques)
- chemical and enzymatic structural probing of RNA/DNA
- gels, all kinds of gels: agarose, native acrylamide, denaturing acrylamide, SDS-acrylamide, two-dimensional
- enzyme kinetics
- radiolabeling nucleic acids and proteins
- familiarity with some biophysical techniques (a bit of CD spectroscopy, a small amount of analytical ultracentrifugation)
- fluorescence spectroscopy (nothing too fancy: straight-up fluorescence and a bit of anisotropy)
McGinness, K.E., Baker, T.A. & Sauer, R.T. (2006) Mol. Cell, 22, 701-707.
McGinness, K.E. & Sauer, R.T. (2004) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101, 13454–13459.
Moore, S.D., McGinness, K.E. & Sauer, R.T. (2003) Science 300, 127–130. (comment)
McGinness, K.E. & Joyce, G.F. (2003) Chem. Biol. 10, 5–14. (review)
McGinness, K.E., Wright, M.C. & Joyce, G.F. (2002) Chem. Biol. 9, 585–596.
McGinness, K.E. & Joyce, G.F. (2002) Chem. Biol. 9, 297–307.
McGinness, K.E. & Joyce, G.F. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277, 2987–2991.