13 October 2009 Lab Meeting
- Presentation: Dr. Qian Mei, Post Doc Applicant, 2pm, please BE ON TIME.
- No group meeting 10/6.
- Invited speaker at group meeting on 10/13 - PLEASE Do NOT MISS - Dr. Qian Mei, post doc applicant.
- PAPERS Drafted before MicroTAS
- Posters for MicroTAS Due to CMK by 10/15
‡ Flu R01:Integration
- New design - address evaporation loss, Reagent delivery and storage solution. Consider marginating flows?
† Sample Concentration (Lead: Jane, Team: Jaephil)
- Up to 10^8 for positive control.
- Jane working on the cell lysate control.
- Main loss is at the outlet/sample collection.
- Alexa Fluor-488 succinimidyl ester (Molecular Probes) stains the flu virus fluorescent.
- The current problem is not how to visualize virus right now, because the design is clearly not optimized for collecting all the samples at the outlet. The major loss is from sample handling instead of from non specific binding to the material.
- Jane is thinking outside the box. New chip design. Bacteria design is not working.
† SPE Column Optimization for RNA. (Lead: Sonali, Team: Hussam, Jessie, Brendan)
- RNA extraction troubleshooting. Do deinhibition of monolith components. Test those with the Ambion RNAse kit. Jessie this week.
- Design three straight channels. A: std channel we already use. B: widest channel possible, C: something in between. Deliver CAD drawings for these for photomasks by Friday 10/16, functional chips to be delivered by 10/26 [hussam/Jessie]
- Silica free SPE, and SPE free channel experiment to be repeated. Control was old didn't take pressure, report back on 10/15.
- Load DNA in a straw of 50ul SPE, quick test of hypothesis more SPE = more DNA, report back 10/16.
- Jessie worked with plasmid. Good std. curve. Not good predictor of the real sample amount. J will redo math with Sonali and Hussam to check.
† PCR - CMI (Lead: Qingqing)
- QQ will work on the initial integration steps of SPE + RT (resevoir)+ PCR.
- QQ: Paper back to QQ 9/29.
- CMK: PCR 1 draft. Analytical Chem. MCK is running more simulations.
- made 40 cycle chip.
- Success with 30 cycles, Qiagen Kit. Look at annealing temperature as per Alexis.
- Integration chip for Qiagen RT-PCR one tube reaction. Control sample first, patient sample second.
† HDA (Lead: Jaephil, Team:Sonali)
- Start planning R01 for Submission on 2/5/10. MM, JD, CMK.
- Paper submitted 10/6.
‡C. diff Project (Cathie, Sonali, Satish Singh, His post doc )
- Sonali to train Lisa on SPE.
- QQ to run test PCR on chip with genomic DNA and Toxin B primers.
‡ Coulter Flu Fraunhofer Project (Lead: Sonali, Team: Sonali, Jessie, Cathie, CMI Folks, Qingqing)
- Meeting 9am Monday 9/14 (every other week)
‡ Agilent Automated Sample Preparation (Lead: Alex)
- With Straws in Parallel at this point. Speeding up the assay.
- Waiting for the machine.
- Alex drafting abstracts.
‡ COBRA (Lead: Jaephil, Team: Cathie, Jane for virus only, PHO folks)
- Metal piece modification for the integration - Parts distored and is begin fixed.
- Virus concentration (dialyzed against PBS, no SERS signal, dialyze against water now).
- paper 1: Evap with Sol Gel substrate. Not integrated. MSSA, E coli.
‡ Biointerfaces group (Lead: MinCheol, Team: Cathie, MCK, Wong and Meller folks)
- New experiments happening now.
‡ CIMIT- Sepsis (Lead:Cathie, Team:TBA)
- IRB approved.
- Cathie submitted the companion BU IRB form for exemption. Revised, still still waiting.
‡ PATH Grant (Lead:Cathie, Team:Frank, Sean, Mark, Jake Trueb (ME), Suma)
- Phone meeting with PATH this week.
- Training on straw making concluded.