13 October 2009 Lab Meeting
- Presentation: Dr. Qian Mei, Post Doc Applicant, 2pm, please BE ON TIME.
- No group meeting 10/6.
- Invited speaker at group meeting on 10/13 - PLEASE Do NOT MISS - Dr. Qian Mei, post doc applicant.
- PAPERS Drafted before MicroTAS
- Posters for MicroTAS Due to CMK by 10/15
‡ Flu R01:Integration
- New design - address evaporation loss, Reagent delivery and storage solution. Consider marginating flows?
† Sample Concentration (Lead: Jane, Team: Jaephil)
- Up to high 10^7 for positive control. Silver substrate no signal.
- Jane working on the cell lysate control: plan to have Cassidy's help on plaque assay while I'm away.
- New cell passage from frozen - the old one is beyond passage 30.
- Main loss is at the outlet/sample collection: tangential filtration design in drawing stage.
- Contacted EC Shaw about rubber stamp mold for new design for evaporation.
- Set up COMSOL and StarCD, look for governing equations for simulation of evaporation.
- Committee meeting setup
† SPE Column Optimization for RNA. (Lead: Sonali, Team: Hussam, Jessie, Brendan)
- RNA extraction troubleshooting. Do deinhibition of monolith components. Test those with the Ambion RNAse kit. Jessie this week.
- Design three straight channels. A: std channel we already use. B: widest channel possible, C: something in between. Deliver CAD drawings for these for photomasks by Friday 10/16, functional chips to be delivered by 10/26 [hussam/Jessie]
- Silica free SPE, and SPE free channel experiment to be repeated. Control was old didn't take pressure, report back on 10/15.
- Load DNA in a straw of 50ul SPE, quick test of hypothesis more SPE = more DNA, report back 10/16.
- Jessie worked with plasmid. Good std. curve. Not good predictor of the real sample amount. J will redo math with Sonali and Hussam to check.
† PCR - CMI (Lead: Qingqing)
- QQ will work on the initial integration steps of SPE + RT (resevoir)+ PCR.
- QQ: Paper back to QQ 9/29.
- CMK: PCR 1 draft. Analytical Chem. MCK is running more simulations.
- made 40 cycle chip.
- Success with 30 cycles, Qiagen Kit. Look at annealing temperature as per Alexis.
- Integration chip for Qiagen RT-PCR one tube reaction. Control sample first, patient sample second.
† HDA (Lead: Jaephil, Team:Sonali)
- Start planning R01 for Submission on 2/5/10. MM, JD, CMK.
- Paper submitted 10/6.
‡C. diff Project (Cathie, Sonali, Satish Singh, His post doc )
- Sonali to train Lisa on SPE.
- QQ to run test PCR on chip with genomic DNA and Toxin B primers.
‡ Coulter Flu Fraunhofer Project (Lead: Sonali, Team: Sonali, Jessie, Cathie, CMI Folks, Qingqing)
- Meeting 9am Monday 9/14 (every other week)
‡ Agilent Automated Sample Preparation (Lead: Alex)
- With Straws in Parallel at this point. Speeding up the assay.
- Waiting for the machine.
- Alex drafting abstracts.
‡ COBRA (Lead: Jaephil, Team: Cathie, Jane for virus only, PHO folks)
- Metal piece modification for the integration - Parts distored and is begin fixed.
- Virus concentration (dialyzed against PBS, no SERS signal, dialyze against water now).
- paper 1: Evap with Sol Gel substrate. Not integrated. MSSA, E coli.
‡ Biointerfaces group (Lead: MinCheol, Team: Cathie, MCK, Wong and Meller folks)
- New experiments happening now.
‡ CIMIT- Sepsis (Lead:Cathie, Team:TBA)
- IRB approved.
- Cathie submitted the companion BU IRB form for exemption. Revised, still still waiting.
‡ PATH Grant (Lead:Cathie, Team:Frank, Sean, Mark, Jake Trueb (ME), Suma)
- Phone meeting with PATH this week.
- Training on straw making concluded.