4 February 2010 Lab Meeting
Qingqing Prospectus Practice Presentation.
- Oakridge deadline is Confusing. The website says something different from the email. Have one from QQ- Anyone else?
- Shichu Huang is here - WELCOME!
‡ Flu R01:Integration
- meetings every other M 1-3pm. 705.
† HDA (Lead: Jaephil, Team:Sonali)
- Start planning R01 for Submission on 6/5/10. MM, JD, CMK.
- Jaephil trying out the lyophilizer with just water to save on HDA reagents. Then Sonali lyophilize HDA mixes +/- trehalose.(MM)
- HDA at 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70C done with C diff ATCC DNA. Works at all except 70C. Less amplification as Temp increases (MM)
- HDA negative water reactions all have primer dimers/non-specific band at 70bp for c diff HDA (MM)
- Jaephil to make COP chips for LOD expt with C diff DNA. (MM)
- 2nd HDA design - include RT, dry reagent, reduced evap loss, and parallel filling, etc
† Sample Concentration (Lead: Jane, Team: Jaephil)
- New design transfer to COP
- Air resistance in the air channel is too large, redesign channel to reduce air resistance: now testing with cutter plotter
- Leakage through the air channel from the fluid channel: now moving air pots farther from fluid channel
- Set up COMSOL and StarCD, look for governing equations for simulation of evaporation: registered for COMSOL course Feb 25
† SPE Column Optimization for DNA/RNA. (Lead: Sonali, Team: Hussam, Jessie, Brendan)
- Sonali put out a new RNA protocol (correct SPE batter, homemade buffers, less ethanol washing, RNA Secure) before break.
- Protocol tested with 10ng, 1ng, 0.1ng Stratagene purified human RNA (MM) and 100 uL of 1:64 dilution ATCC MDCK sup Flu A/PR/8/34 (JC)
- Human Total RNA see % yields at 50% and fraction 1 + fraction 2 = 4-5ng RNA out of 10ng with all changes. With high vol *ethanol wash but other protocol improvements, see 40% yield at all other concentrations.
- For Flu virus see improved Ct value by 7 cycles in fraction 1 from multiple channels
- Also detecting 1.4 logs more of virus at 1:64 JC virus prep than before.
- Switching from lambda phage DNA to TaqMan RNase P detection [update]
- Hussam Runs chip with RNA (confirm procedure is correct) [update]
- Jessie will run chips with serial virus dilutions from 1:1 to 1:1,000,000 to re-do previous dilution experimnent with WHO SYBR green assay on chip.
- Sonali will assay BIDMC virus sample with newest protocol with 0.7uM Silica and compare with Qiagen RNA extraction with CDC PCR assay
† integrated chip for flu(SPE+RT+PCR) (Lead: Qingqing)
- integrated chip works with ATCC flu virus
- working on improving the efficiency
- testing real patient sample
- PCR1 Paper back to MCK this week.
- CMK: PCR 1 draft. Analytical Chem.
‡C. diff Project (Cathie, Sonali, Satish Singh, Lisa J., His post doc )
† PCR of C.Difficile DNA (Qingqing)
- ATCC C.dif DNA with Negative patient sample works on chip
- Another positive patient sample was tested on chip
-wrong size products(55bp).
-no designed size product.
‡ Coulter Flu Fraunhofer Project (Lead: Sonali, Team: Sonali, Jessie, Cathie, CMI Folks, Qingqing)
- New meeting time, T, 9:30 am every other week.
‡ Agilent Automated Sample Preparation (Lead: Alex)
- Paper on HotDog in progress.
‡ COBRA (Lead: Jaephil, Team: Cathie, Jane for virus only, PHO folks)
- New metal piece - First week of Dec.
- Evap paper -CMK edited, back to JD and JZ this week
‡ Biointerfaces group (Lead: MinCheol, Team: Cathie, MCK, Wong and Meller folks)
* Cathie will submit paper inquiry.
‡ CIMIT- Sepsis (Lead:Cathie, Team:TBA)
‡ PATH Grant (Lead:Cathie, Team:Frank, Sean, Mark, Jake Trueb (ME))
- Submitted Gantt Document to PATH 11/25.
- Frank: 1-week in-tube stabilization experiment successful. Extractions completed for 1-week storage. PCR of eluted samples in progress (28 Jan).
- Sean: Started making straws for the new experiments we talked about (DNA weights of 1ng, 10ng, and 100ng through 700nm at SPE 100 monolith at 0-day time point). Have contacted the physics department shop floor to check the progress of the Blackbird pieces I ordered on Monday.
- Mark: as of 4 Feb. has loaded 6 and 4 month trials with 10ng/straw. Results of the 1ng/straw 0-day trial inconclusive, redo possible. Sticking with 10ng/straw for remaining tests. Loaded 2 month trial on Tuesday. Will load shorter time periods next week (i.e. 3-day, 1 week). Straw fabrication ongoing.
‡ IIH Senior Project.
- Ordering ELISA Kits
- Determining materials to test fluorescence
- Transparancy, COP, PDMS (gold-standard)
- material list from study (Xurography, Daniel A. Bartholomeusz, p 1367)
- Planned to reconnect with Jose, he is out of town until feb.
- Returning to the cutter plotter at MIT for 'origami testing'