Klapperich Lab:Photopolymerization of PHEMA
This protocol outlines the photopolymerization of PHEMA.
- 900 uL HEMA or modified monomer
- 600 uL Ethylene glycol
- 25 uL EGDMA (ethylene glycol dimethacrylate), crosslinker
- 20 mg DMPAP, photoinitiator
- Turn on digital dry bath. Add water to wells you will use. Set temperature to 85°C.
- Add DMPAP to 2 mL centrifuge tube.
- Add HEMA to tube. Be careful to avoid air bubbles when pipetting.
- Add ethylene glycol to tube.
- Add EGMDA to tube.
- Heat mixture in digital bath until crystals are melted. Vortex.
- Add contents of tube to one well of a 6 well plate. Expose to UV light for 2.5 minutes.
- Be careful not to overheat DMPAP. (Jessica Kaufman)
- Let gel sit in fume hood for at least 4 hours before hydrating with Millipore water.(Jessica Kaufman)
- This recipe in this mold yields a swollen gel that is approximately 1 mm thick.(Jessica Kaufman)
- Song J, Malathong V, and Bertozzi CR. . pmid:15755154.
- Song J, Saiz E, and Bertozzi CR. . pmid:12553825.
- Jessica Kaufman
- Nathan Spencer
- Eben Tessari