Knight:NuPAGE electrophoresis/Gel drying
< Knight:NuPAGE electrophoresis
A procedure for drying and preserving a polyacrylamide gel.
- Gel drying solution
- 20% ethanol
- 10% glycerol
- Gel drying frames from Diversified Biotech
- Cellophane sheets from Diversified Biotech
- Equilibrate gel in gel drying solution for at least 30 mins.
- Reduces gel swelling and results in a more flexible dried gel.
- Place two cellophane sheets in water for 1-2 mins.
- Cellophane may appear cloudy but will clear upon drying.
- Lay one sheet of cellophane on solid back plate, beveled edge down. Avoid air bubbles.
- Place gel on cellophane. Avoid air bubbles.
- Air bubbles can cause cracking.
- Pipet 1-2 mLs of gel drying solution on top of gel.
- Layer a second wet sheet of cellophane on top of gel. Match edges with edges of back plate. Roll cellophane from bottom of gel towards the wells helps avoid air bubbles.
- Place open frame over stack, bevelled edge up. Match edges of back plate. Frame should cover all edges of cellophane.
- Attach plastic clips to all four sides.
- Leave assembly to dry horizontally for at least 2 days.
- Remove clips and pry apart assembly.
- Peel dried gel/cellophane sandwich from back plate.
- Trim off excess cellophane immediately to avoid curling.