For long term storage of bacterial strains. Useful for shipping strains.
- Stab agar
- 10 g nutrient broth
- 5 g NaCl
- 6 g agar
- 10 mg cysteine˙Cl
- 10 mg thymine
- H2O to 1 L
Autoclave to sterilize.
- Fill airtight, autoclavable vials with rubber or teflon caps 2/3 full of stab agar
- Inoculate with a single colony repeatedly poking the inoculating loop into the agar
- Incubate at 37°C for 8-12 hrs until cloudy tracks of bacteria become visible
- Seal tightly and store in the dark at room temperature (15-22°C)
- Revive by using inoculating loop to streak onto a new LB plate