Koch Lab:Research/MediaWiki for Open Science/How To Install Mediawiki Windows
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|Line 34:||Line 36:|
- Download the latest version of Mediawiki from http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download
- Download the latest version of XAMPP for windows from http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
- Note: Be sure to download the "Installer" package for the easiest installation.
- Note: Select to install Apache and MySQL as a service.
- Warning: |Do not install FileZilla as a service unless you are ready to configure it properly.
- Note: There is no need to start the XAMPP control panel after installation.
- Browse to http://127.0.0.1/security/xamppsecurity.php and set the mysql root password.
- Note: Select cookie authentication and not http
- Extract mediawiki installation files using 7-zip into C:\xampp\htdocs\wiki
- Update this Need to add instructions on how to properly extract files for the mediawiki installation. Not quite sure how since it is a tar file wrapped in a gunzip archive...
- Browse to http://127.0.0.1/wiki, and click on "set up the wiki"
- Follow through the installation instructions provided.
Some important notes about the installation instructions
- Select "No Caching" unless you are sure that you will be using Memcached (If you don't know what Memcached is, select "No Caching")
- Only enable email features if you have configured PHP to support email
- Select MySQL as the database type
- The database name can be anything you want
- Database table prefix is not required
- The superuser account and password are the ones you set before at the http://127.0.0.1/security/xamppsecurity.php page.
- Be sure to check "Use superuser account" so that the database and user can be created.
- Warning: Do not use the same password for the wiki database and the root user as this poses a significant security risk.
- Math rendering does not work in windows. This extension looks like a promising solution, will try soon: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Windows/math.php