- Set the transilluminator to 70% of power, prepare a becker with deionized water, a clean scalpel and the suitable protections for UV.
- Cut the band of interest and put it into an empty labelled 1.5-ml tube.
- Follow the NucleoSpin Extract II kit (Macherey-Nagel) with the exception that elution can be performed with 30 ul of Milli-Q water.
SAFETY NOTES (the same as electrophoresis):
- ethidium bromide is toxic and mutagenic and is a suspected carcinogen. Be careful when handling ethidium bromide solutions and gel pieces (always with gloves).
- ultraviolet radiation is harmful to the skin and eyes. Wear gloves and a face shield when using an exposed ultraviolet source. Always use the transilluminator protection. Skin must not be exposed, use lab coat and gloves during gel cut.