Maloof Lab:Cristina Nieto Garcia
- Cristina Nieto Garcia
- visiting scholar
- University of California Davis
- 1 Shields Avenue
- Davis, CA, USA.
- Email: Cristina.email@example.com
I am a visiting scholar at the University of California Davis where i work in a project related to functional transcriptional factors identification in Rosa species using comparative genomics approaches.
My entire education was done with Agricultural as background. It first started with Batchelors in Agriculture and then Master's in Agriculture with specialization in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology and finally it ended with Ph.D in Agriultural sciences.
- 2006 Ph. D. in Molecular Plant Pathology. CEBAS-CSIC (Spain) and INRA-URGV (France). European Doctorate Mention.
- 2003 Master in Plant Biotechnology and Genetic Resources. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Spain)
- 2001 Degree in Agricultural Engeneering. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Spain)
My Ph.d research focused on Molecular investigation of RAD51 and DMC1 homoeologous genes of hexaploid/bread wheat. My experience of research has involved using a multi-faceted level of study, allowing me to gain a technical understanding of molecular biology, genetics, genomics, physiology and cytogenetics. Very little is known about the Meiotic recombination genes and their mode of action in bread wheat partly wheat being a polyploid species and large genome size. The main aim of my ph.d research was to isolate, clone and characterize the meiotic recombiantion genes and their homoeologues in bread wheat. And In order to gain more insight into recombination pathway, in planta functional characterization of TaRAD51 and TaDMC1 homoeologues were investigated using reverse genetics and complementation methods.
My main research interests are
- Forward and Reverse genetics of plant and crop species.
- Functional genomics of abiotic and biotic stresses in plants and crop species
- Systems biology of recombination in crop species
- Nieto, C., Rodríguez-Moreno, L., Rodríguez-Hernández, AM, Aranda, MA. and Truniger, V. Nicotiana benthamiana resistance to non-adapted Melon necrotic spot virus results from an incompatible interaction between virus RNA and translation initiation factor 4E. The Plant Journal (2011) 66, 492-501
- Truniger, V., Nieto, C., González-Ibeas, D. y Aranda, M.A. Mechanism of plant eIF4E-mediated resistance against a Carmovirus (Tombusviridae): Cap-independent translation of a viral RNA controlled in cis by an (a)virulence determinant. The Plant Journal (2008) 56, 716-727.
- Nieto, C., Piron, F., Dalmais, M., Marco, CF, Moriones, E., Gomez-Guillamon, M.L., Truniger, V., Gomez, P., Garcia-Mas, J., Aranda, M.A. y Bendahmane, A. EcoTILLING for the identification of allelic variants of melon eIF4E, a factor that controls virus susceptibility. BMC Plant Biology (2007) 48, 34.
- Nieto, C., Morales, M., Orjeda, G. Clepet, C., Monfort, A., Sturbois, B., Puigdomènech, P., Dogimont, C., García-Mas, J., Aranda, M.A. y Bendahmane, A. An eIF4E allele confers resistance against an uncapped and non-polyadenylated RNA virus in melon. The Plant Journal (2006) 48, 452-462.
- Morales, M., Orjeda, G., Nieto, C., Van Leeuwen,H., Charpentier, M., Monfort, A., Arús, P. Puigdomènech, P., Pitrat, M., Aranda, M.A., Dogimont, C., Bendahmane, A. y Garcia-Mas , J. A physical map covering the nsv locus that confers resistance to Melon necrotic spot virus in melon (Cucumis melo L.) Theoretical and Applied Genetics (2005) 11, 914-922.
- Díaz, J.A., Truniger, V., Nieto, C., Garcia-Mas, J., Bendahmane A. y Aranda, M.A Advances in understanding recessive resistance to plant virus. Molecular Plant Pathology (2004) 5, 223-233.
- Díaz, J. A., Nieto, C., Moriones, E., Truniger, V. y Aranda, M.A. Molecular characterization of a Melon necrotic spot virus strain that overcomes the resistance in melon and non-host plants. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions (2004)17, 668-675.
Díaz, J. A., Nieto, C., Moriones, E. y Aranda, M.A. Spanish Melon necrotic spot virus isolate overcomes the resistance conferred by the recessive nsv gene of melon. Plant Disease (2002) 86, 694.
- Book chapters
J. García-Más, C. Nieto, M. Morales and M.A. Aranda (2007). Identificación y caracterización de genes de resistencia a virus fitopatógenos en especies de interés agronómico. En “Herramientas Biotecnológicas en Fitopatología”. Eds. Pallás, V., Rodríguez-Palenzuela, P., Escobar, C., and Marcos, J. F. Editorial MundiPrensa, Madrid (Spain).