Maloof Lab Safety Guidelines
- No Eating or Drinking in the lab. Food and beverages are not allowed in lab refrigerators, freezers, or microwaves. Always wash your hands after working in the laboratory, especially before eating..
- When using a chemical or reagent, check the label for information about health hazards.
- Additional information about the safety of particular chemicals can be found by looking at the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) at: http://ehs.ucdavis.edu/im/msds.html
- Before working with a hazardous material ask about lab safety protocols for that material.
- Protective goggles, lab coats, gloves, and closed toed shoes should be worn when working with hazardous material such as (but not limited to):
- Strong Acids
- Strong Bases
- Radioactive Material
- Ethidum Bromide
- Trichloroacetic acid
- Protease inhibitors
- Volatile organics (such as phenol, chloroform, acetone) should be used in the fume hood.
- All radioactive work is to be done in room 2123B and may only be done by users that have completed the E. H. and S. radiation safety training class.
- If you spill hazardous material on yourself: immediately rinse the area with water and have a colleague call 911 (530-752 1230 from a cell phone) for assistance.
- An eye wash station is located at the sink by the hall door in room 2111 and 2115.
- Two safety showers are in the hall; one to the left of room 2111, near the restrooms, and one to the right of room 2119, near the stairwell.
- Remove contaminated clothing immediately
- If hazardous material is spilled in the lab: notify your co-workers and:
- If it is one pint or more, or is extremely toxic, call 911 (530-752 1230 from a cell phone).
- Otherwise refer to "safety net #13" in the lab safety manual
- The spill kit is in the yellow duffel bag underneath the sink by the deli fridge and -20 freezer in room 2115.
- A fire extinguisher is located next to the hall doors in room 2111 and 2115. Two more fire-extinguishers are in the hall; one to the left of room 2111, near the restrooms, and one to the right of room 2119, near the stairwell. Only attempt to put out small fires. If a fire is uncontrollable, notify your co-workers to evacuate, close the door behind you, and call 911 (530-752 1230 from a cell phone).
- Flammable materials are to be stored in the flammable cabinet under the fume hood in room 2115. A special freezer, in room 2119 is available for cold storage of flammable materials. Corrosives are stored in the corrosive cabinet under the fume hood in room 2115.
A PDF of the hazardous waste label that should be attached to waste containers is available below. **Just drag the label image onto your desktop and print it.**