Bibtex4Word is a useful Word add-in that allows you to use your existing BibTeX database and favorite bibliography styles in Word.
To use Bibtex4Word (which only works on a PC) you will need to install the following:
- JabRef (well, actually any reference manager that will allow you to keep track of your BibTex database, but a number of people in the lab prefer JabRef)
- Bibtex4Word macro
There are excellent installation instructions and test documents available at the Bibtex4Word site: http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/perl/index.html
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
*Megan N McClean I ran into several problems when trying to get this to work. I am running Windows 7, 32-bit. My solutions were as follows:
- I could not for the life of me get MikTex to install on my computer. Everytime I ran the installer I would get the following error:
An error occurred:
source file: Libraries\MiKTeX\Core\Process.cpp
source line: 296
message: The operation failed for some reason.
info: C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.8\miktex\bin\initexmf.exe
I eventually fixed this following the recommendations here: http://entangled.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/installation-of-miktex-2-8-failed/ I did all of the following:
- Uninstalled Adobe Reader and restarted my computer
- Installed MikTex 2.8 instead of 2.9
- Installed MikTex for just myself, instead of all users on the computer
- Installed MikTex in my Documents folder, instead of in C:\Programs
- Changed PDF permissions by running regedit.exe from the search line, navigating to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf, rightclicking .pdf, clicking permissions, and granting everyone full rights (Full Control, Read) to .pdf (that is, administrator, myself, Restricted, and system)
- The first time I tried to find Windows 7: C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP to put the .dot file in the Word startup folder, I could not find the AppData folder. Turns out, you actually need to follow the Bibtext4Word installation instructions and: