OpenWetWare:Feature list/Lab notebook
A good implementation of a lab notebook 'wizard' for OWW. At the moment it is fairly difficult to keep an electronic lab notebook on OWW.
Add specific feature proposals here that can be refined and prioritized.
- BC:Ability to store, query, retrieve structured data would be very useful (e.g. What date did I sequence that plasmid? What freezer box is that strain in etc.) Maybe based on the Exhibit flexible database? See here for an example.
- Provide a page hierarchy for projects (e.g. Thesis->specific aim 1->random experiment 1) and for dates (2007->March->15). The calendar extension provides an adequate solution to the by-date half of this.
- Higher level syntax for inserting common elements into the lab notebook, such as gel images, freezer box maps etc. to remove some of the pain of wikicode.
- How does information get organized ... by date, by topic or both?
- Linking allows you to do both. However, most folks will likely have one mode they prefer to work in so it probably makes sense to offer templates tailored to both types.
Add protocol to my notebook
Could have a click feature on protocol pages that would automatically put a link to the protocol on a sub-page of the userpage like User:Jasonk/Protocols. This could also automatically add the protocol to the user's watchlist.
- It would be nice to link to the "permalink" so you easily know what version of the evolving protocol you used. It would seem like this would be good to integrate into a lab notebook feature, so you could say, "I followed this protocol" and have it easily link to current permalink for that protocol.--Skoch3 13:13, 16 July 2007 (EDT)