A wiki for capturing and sharing biological knowledge
Much of the knowledge produced by biological research is passed down by oral tradition.
This makes it difficult for newcomers to enter the field.
Model Construction and Documentation
Models Are Poorly Communicated
Knowledge generated during model building is lost!
It is difficult to:
- construct a new model
- build on published models
- evaluate published models
- involve experimentalists
What About MIRIAM, SBML, etc?
- MIRIAM - Minimum Information Requested in the Annotation of Biochemical Models
- SBML - Systems Biology Markup Language
OK for publishing, but too complicated for discovery!
Can we design something more "agile" while utilizing and respecting the established standards?
- systematize data
- follow so-called "80/20" rule
- "living" models
- wikis foster communication
- 2,800 contributors
- 100 labs
- 1.5 million pageviews per month
- 275,000 sessions per month