A wiki for capturing and sharing biological knowledge
Much of the knowledge produced by biological research is passed down by oral tradition.
This makes it difficult for newcomers to enter the field.
Ethnomethodology: A sociological discipline which focuses on the ways in which people make sense of their world, display this understanding to others, and produce the mutually shared social order in which they live. (Wikipedia)
Systematization and Data Standards
- Communicating with computers, not people
- Rigid, one-way "conversation"
Existing Data Standards
- MIRIAM - Minimum Information Requested in the Annotation of Biochemical Models
- SBML - Systems Biology Markup Language
How do we communicate the final 20% ?
- Verbal, email, etc.
Conversation is robust, and necessary anyway
Agile Informatics effort
with Brian Joughin, MIT/ICBP
To be integrated into OWW
- 2,800 contributors
- 100 labs
- 1.5 million pageviews per month
- 275,000 sessions per month