- This is an in progress version for the SC page -- please add anything that you think is missing
- the old version can be found here.
- general discussion about design on the talk page
The OpenWetWare Steering Committee is charged with leading the future direction of OpenWetWare. The steering committee is open to all OWW members, and we are actively seeking participants. Please email admin (at) openwetware (dot) org to be added to the mailing list.
Action Items for this month
- Reddit trial. (cumbers, lucks)
- Make "Edit Sidebar" button for customization. (austin?)
- Vote on front page! (everyone)
- New front page is up.
- Finalize infrastructure strategy (Ilya, Sri, Jason)
- Jasonk 13:53, 3 September 2006 (EDT):Going with rackspace.com, waiting for MIT to approve the PO.
- Look over and comment on the list of SC goals.
Suggested items for next SC meeting
Please post any topics you would like the SC to consider at the next meeting -- you don't need to be on the committee to post something here!
- Jasonk 17:23, 4 September 2006 (EDT): Make it easy to make an OWW page compliant with postgenomic so it can get aggregated there.
- Jasonk 17:28, 4 September 2006 (EDT): Statistics and survey guru. Might want to have someone who keeps an eye on trends on the site. this could range from surveys of people are using the site as was suggested previously, to looking over site analytics (which will come with new hosting service), or to just tracking site statistics (number of users, number of labs, etc). This sort of information could help the SC make more informed decisions.
- Reshma 10:12, 5 September 2006 (EDT): I've been trying to work on a tutorial on how to host courses on OWW. Feedback/help welcome.
- Jasonk 07:59, 7 September 2006 (EDT): Should we have an officially sanctioned forum area? Could be a stopgap until the "liquid threads" or whatever gets included in mediawiki...
- Reshma 08:27, 7 September 2006 (EDT): There's Questions and Answers for research-questions and the Community portal for OpenWetWare questions. Do we need more than that?
- Jasonk 08:56, 7 September 2006 (EDT): Well, this isn't a new topic or anything, but the having discussions is facilitated by threads. If we think the Mediawiki implementation is going to take to too long, we may consider getting some forum software to run on the site (it wouldn't have to perfectly integrate with the wiki for the short term) - i think hacing a "latest forum discussions" box similar to the one on the front page of protocols online would help OWW be a place to post your general biology questions. It's a good question why a Q&A section hasn't taken off on OWW, it may just be the community is too small, or it could be that the technical hurdles are too high.
Meeting time/date is 2nd Thursday of the month, Noon-1 pm Eastern Time at MIT. We have teleconferencing set up, so if you are interested in calling in, please let us know. (admin (at) openwerware (dot) org <showhide>Notes from previous meetings__HIDER__ <hide>
- Prior to the committee formation, there were ad-hoc discussions on OWW development:
- 7/25/06 Steering Committee Retreat
- Site administration (what is best page to link to?)
- Maintain the technical infrastructure that keeps the site operational.
- Funding committee
- Exploring funding options for OpenWetWare
- OpenWetWare:New account requests
- Approves new user requests based upon community rules regarding edit access.