OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting - June 2006
- Time : 12-1pm EST, 6/15/06
- Room : 32-262 (Stata center)
To Conference Call:
Audiobridge Phone No.: 617-452-5190
To participate in the meeting, call the above number at 12pm EST. You should be connected in to the conference call. Apologies that this requires you to call in, but this is how the audiobridge system works at MIT.
- Software Development: Alex Mallet
- Community Development: Sri Kosuri
- Open Science seminar series
- Advertising: Ty Thomson
- Google Adwords Jason Kelly
- User Experience/Data Management: Jeff Gritton & Barry Canton
- Education Coordinator: Reshma Shetty
- Lab highlights: John Cumbers
Action List! ;)
These are specific goals to be presented on at the next steering committee meeting.
- Contact PLoS One folks about seminar series. (Sri)
- Make a template for new users, should be integrated into the getting started pages . (Mike)
- Make a page better explaining "namespaces", and include it in the getting started pages. (Jenny, Kathleen)
- Look into putting Eric's journal abbreviations on OWW. ((Eric Patridge, Austin Che)
- Starting a group that will determine how to encourage “good” protocol submission / aggregation. Plenty of discussion needed here, but need to get the ball rolling. (Jenny)
- Contact Jason if you want to be involved in the Board of Directors for OWW should we go for 501(c)3 stauts - will entail increased (legal) responsibility. (Everyone)
- Report on whether 501(c)3 status is a good idea considering legal protection afforded by MIT, etc, (Sriram Kosuri)
- Help out on writing the NSF Grant (Everyone)
- T-shirt (Jenny, Jason)
These are new discussion topics brought up during the meeting, that will be continued on the wiki. Each heading links to a discussion on the topic.
- OpenWetWare:Community development/Advertising
- Google Adwords was suggested by Jason, with the concern that we might not have the infrastructure to deal with a significant uptick in new users.
- OpenWetWare:Community development/New user experience
- What should the new user experience look like? Should we have a “welcoming committee”?
- OpenWetWare:Software/Site analytics
- This would provide more information for making decisions about site organization. Could be a feature we provide to labs, as well as something we use ourselves to help for re-organizing pages (e.g., the main page). It also may raise privacy concerns, or be an unnecessary technical addition to the site back-end. Discussion needed to resolve this.
- OpenWetWare:Information management/Article naming conventions
- The current plan is to include a section better explaining namesapces in the OWW getting started pages (currently it is in the Etiquette section)
- Tom also suggested that the issue could be technically solved by making page moving easier (specifically, getting links on OWW to be remapped to the new page)
- OpenWetWare:Software/iHOP and OpenWetWare:Software/BRENDA
- How to integrate with OWW? (Eric, maybe you can kick off these discussions.)
- T-shirt designs/slogans.
- Jennyn 14:47, 15 June 2006 (EDT): We should consider doing a collection of T-shirts like H-Lounge (ringtone start-up from MIT). That way, we can do Sri's awesome idea of the "[My Favorite Protocol]" shirt, and maybe put "openwetware.org" on the back or something. I'd love to get involved in this, also, by the way. I think the graphics that we have are cool, but more would be awesome!