OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting - November 2007
Brief reports on the month's activity should be written by each chair 2 days before the SC meeting. At the meeting each chair will bring up any open issues that require discussion, but won't need to recount everything described below.
- Nature MSB changes their OA policy to allow author to choose if they want to allow derivative works (in part due to our request)
- UNM PHYC500 course highlight posted this month.
- Do we want to switch the OWW Blogs news item to a permanent main page link?
- Do we want the iGEM2007 item to remain up?
Julius B. Lucks 08:46, 1 November 2007 (CDT): Stub of some notes - I'll fill in soon.
- Rolled out new content of generated user page
- By scanning the new user pages, it looks like 16% (11/68) have changed their User page content, and 84% (57/68) have not. There did not appear to be any correlation between the account creation time and whether or not they have changed it (although I did not check this explicitly.) What version of the intro email have we been sending?
- We only have 18 survey entries. We need to do something about advertising the survey better.
- Ricardo Vidal 11:49, 6 November 2007 (CST):I put up a post at my blog and contacted a couple of people I think use OWW. Maybe making a small button to put up on OWW-user personal sites/blogs?
Julius B. Lucks 08:59, 1 November 2007 (CDT): Over the SC list, we discussed the possibility of 'publishing' OWW works on arXiv.org. The basic idea can be seen on the [OpenWetWare:Steering_committee/Publishing_chairs#Recent_Ideas|Publising Chairs page]. This idea has been discussed with arXiv.org, and they think it sounds like a great idea. We need to discuss several things:
- Does this idea make sense for OWW? There is nothing stopping an OWW user from publishing a pre-print derived from the OWW wiki on arXiv.org, but do we want to officially promote it (and thereby have somethin to do with best practices)?
- How can we roll this out? Bill is already working on integrating the arXiv API with the wiki, and there was talk of adding it to the biblio pluggin. This means that arXiv id's will work just like pubmed id's and people can easily cite their arXiv works. We could even make this automatic when a work has been turned into an e-print.
- The arXiv is not yet ready to handle automatic submissions (but will be soon). We could make a 'Publish to arXiv.org' button or link which then describes the manual procedure of turning the wiki page into a presentable PDF for submission. We will also have to write something about authorship in there as well. We will also have to create a list of journals that will accept a publication that has been posted on arXiv (Nature, PNAS, etc.) and a contact at that journal just in case an issue arises.
- Identify a user or group of users that is ready to try this process out and walk through it with them.