OpenWetWare:Steering committee action archive

From OpenWetWare

Revision as of 23:48, 18 March 2008 by Jason R. Kelly (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

3/13/08

  • Julius and John will host another publishing sub-committee meeting
  • Bill will host a "using the lab notebook" tutorial and possibly a follow-on lab notebook planning meeting.
    • Lorrie is working on lab notebook help documents (using screencast)
  • Bill will turn on the FCKeditor and send out an email to the list so ppl can turn it on and beta-test this month.
  • Maureen is writing an article about conducting courses on OWW, contact her if you would like to participate. She'll be sending out the link to the article draft which will be on OWW. - some thoughts
  • Send out an OWW-all email this month, announce survey, new features, etc (jason)
  • Bill will add the capability to edit the feedback page.
    • Once that's done we'll add a link to the survey and a notice that feedback is about OWW, not the course.
  • Julius will send a message about the results of the survey.
  • Someone will look into putting a map of logged in users on the home page. Email Bill if you're interested or if you have a better idea for a way to provide location-info about OWW users.
  • Julius will do a screencast for chat and a blog post.
  • 'OWW Action Hour' next Thu 14th Feb at noon. (everyone!)


1/10/07 Meeting

  • Add SC blog to the main page using feed reader (jason/jenny), make new blog posts to SC blog (everyone)
  • Maureen is writing an article about conducting courses on OWW, contact her if you would like to participate. She'll be sending out the link to the article draft which will be on OWW.
  • Send out a an OWW-all email this month, announce survey, new features, etc (jason)
    • Will need to have the capability to unsubscribe from the mailing list easily (bill)
  • test out the wysisyg editor (everyone test, bill will send out)

12/6/07 Meeting

  • follow up with wikiomics about spam (sri)
  • make a mailing list for all OWW users (bill/sri) so that we can email in case of emergency outage, and also if we want to do 3-4/year site-wide update emails.
  • Post software updates to the SC blog (mac)
    • Screencast of using wibbit also a possibility -- maybe a demo of adding a table (mac)
  • Evaluate how hard it will be to automatically generate a the distilled site statistics (bill/mattias).
  • Standard documentation for extensions (Julius/Mac)
  • Header for announcements (Bill)
  • Follow up on getting list of journals that accept articles that have been shared as pre-print.
  • Add SC blog to the main page using feed reader (jason/jenny), make new blog posts to SC blog (everyone)

11/8/07 Meeting

  • OpenWetWare:PLoS_community_page - leave feedback. (everyone)
  • follow up with wikiomics about spam (sri)
  • make a mailing list for all OWW users (bill/sri) so that we can email in case of emergency outage, and also if we want to do 3-4/year site-wide update emails.
  • Post software updates to the SC blog (mac)
    • Screencast of using wibbit also a possibility -- maybe a demo of adding a table (mac)
  • Bill will provide details on which of the RSS extensions is the best for long term maintenance (e.g. cleanest code, best developer community) and we'll decide on 1 of them by next SC meeting.
  • Move Outreach chair's page over to be the template for the new user page and then improve from there (everyone).
  • Help with lab notebook brainstorming. (everyone)

10/4/07 meeting

  • OpenWetWare:PLoS_community_page - leave feedback. (everyone)
  • follow up with wikiomics about spam (sri)
  • make a mailing list for all OWW users (bill/austin/ilya) so that we can email in case of emergency outage, and also if we want to do 3-4/year site-wide update emails.

Done

  • Implement survey on an online form, send to SC to try it out (lucks/vincent)
  • post a news item about blogs that mentions the SC blog in particular as well as telling people they can get a blog if they want. (jen & jason)
  • also will be posting news about couple classes (PHYC500 and 20.109) (jen)
    • statistics portal as well.
  • follow up with Nature about wikiReviews (jason)
  • remove maps and show/hide extensions by the next SC meeting (austin/mac)

9/6/07 meeting

  • Post new lab highlight, email suggestions to jen (jen, everyone)
  • Future of scientific publishing / relationship with OWW blog post for the SC blog (john)
  • prioritized feature list - flesh out features and sign up for ones you'd like to help with (everyone)
  • Comment on proposed addition to mission (everyone)

8/2/07 Meeting

  • Future of scientific publishing / relationship with OWW blog post for the SC blog (john)
    • postponed until blog actually got up ;)
  • OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Awards - suggest possible awards here; we'll be nominating people at the next SC meeting (everyone).
  • discuss OpenWetWare:Language standard (natalie, others)
    • Beef up the disclaimer on the site (barry, jeff)

Completed

  • Austin highlight (jen)
    • Possible screencast (mac) -- didn't end up doing
  • Follow up with Scopus (john) -- still in progress
  • prioritized feature list - flesh out features and sign up for ones you'd like to help with (everyone)
  • Distilled statistics (Mattias) -- we have the list
  • Implement survey on an online form, send to SC to try it out (lucks)

7/12/07 Meeting

Completed

  • last chance to comment on the survey questions (everyone, lucks/vincent)
  • Post a comment on the What's new section so that people know not to post external links (jen) - done
  • Set up the wordpress-MU, one of which will be the OWW steering committee blog, something akin to the digg blog with pictures of SC members, etc. (austin, ilya, mac)
    • Jenny could help make the color scheme match the rest of OWW
  • highlight hoatlin lab (jen)
  • iGEM video highlight (jen, mac)
  • change new user page to encourage new users to sign in with their email / are there any technical problems with this? (austin)
  • organize meeting to discuss accounts policy (jason)

6/7/07 Meeting

  • OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Awards - suggest possible awards here, that we could use to start building merit for contributions. (everyone).
  • Try to decide at next meeting whether to have all the links on front page be on OWW or not. (jen)
  • Set up an OWW steering committee blog, something akin to the digg blog with pictures of SC members, etc. (austin, ilya, mac)
  • highlight hoatlin/silver labs (jen)
  • iGEM video highlight (jen, mac)
  • finalize survey questions (everyone, lucks/vincent)
  • Discuss the username policy wrt using real names. (everyone)
  • Screencasts(mac)

5/2/07 Meeting

tabled

  • Pligg (John Cumbers) - report on whether this will work as a way to suggest cool articles and news.
    • Austin will help to get the logins working with or without OpenID.
  • Set up a custom skin that includes RSS feeds on main article pages and a google search (Ilya, Austin)
    • Map with all the outreach folks' pictures (vincent)
    • Create a 'what OWW is' document. (lucks, vincent)
  • Survey of the current OWW 'demographics' (mattias, lucks, vincent)
  • Recruit more outreach officers (mattias, lucks, everyone)
  • Move any new software documentation to OpenWetWare:Software (Mac)
  • Wikify upcoming BMC paper (sri)
  • Create a single page which is the condensed feature list that the SC will need to prioritize (jason)
    • Discuss how to prioritize such a list effectively.


completed

  • Replace getting started link with help page link on main page.
  • OpenWetWare:Reviews (jason, others) - try and get some reviews up.
  • Fix the chat room situation (Reshma)
    • All SC meeting chats will take place in this room.
  • An intro page for new users to supplement the email.
  • Set up news at openwetware mailing list and add links to the main page asking for content (jen)
    • Send suggested cool pages to news at openwetware :) (everyone)
  • Post materials to the Outreach chairs to start putting together standard recruiting materials (sri, everyone)
    • Move relevant content from SC/Outreach to the community development outreach page -- you can still coordinate your activities on SC page, it's more for anything you want other people to plug into. (lucks, Vincent)
      • Lucks 08:53, 5 April 2007 (EDT): We'll be moving content to that page once we get organized. For now we'll put some filler in.
  • Put together a list of statistics that we'd like to have (work with software chairs to figure out what's feasible - e.g. most edits this month, etc) (Mattias)
  • Consolidate the work of the new chairs onto the community portal areas. Like OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Software chairs to OpenWetWare:Software. (each chair)
  • Revise the email to new users. (admin list members)

4/4/07 Meeting

  • OpenWetWare:Steering committee/Meeting time (everyone) - choose a new time for monthly meetings.
  • Pligg (John Cumbers) - report on whether this will work as a way to suggest cool articles and news.
  • OpenWetWare:Reviews (jason, others) - try and get some reviews up.
  • promote the RecentChanges discussion page (moved into comm portal, Reshma)
  • Install the extension for RSS feeds on all the pages (Ilya, Austin)
  • Install the extension for syntax highlighting (Ilya, Austin)

3/09/07 Meeting

2/16/07 Meeting

  • Follow up with NSF about the grant revisions. (Drew)
  • Page tagging/categorization (Vincent)
  • update on iGEM 2007 on OWW (Jason)
  • NIH position follow-up(sri)
  • Talk to the Sorger lab about private wikis (Sri)
  • Change the toolbar on the private wiki to include links to resources (materials, protocols) on OWW. (austin)

1/19/07 Meeting

  • OpenWetWare:Respond to NSF (Drew)
  • Email dspace about free DOIs (Reshma, contacted DSpace)
  • Pilot the subwiki program (ilya,austin)
    • Customize the toolbar to include materials/protocols link before release
    • Publish to OWW button would be good too, but likely more technically challenging
  • Page tagging/categorization (Vincent)
  • update on iGEM 2007 on OWW (Jason)
  • Submit job desciption to MIT jobs, OWW front page, NNB, Scilink, etc (sri)
    • Set up a meeting with Jonathan Reese (Sri)
  • Add link to how to sign up for OWW discuss list to the new user email and getting started page (Jenny)
  • Add a weekly public dump of the OWW database (similar to how wikipedia does), so others can mine it/reuse (ilya)


12/14/06 Meeting

  • Add link to how to sign up for OWW discuss list to the new user email
  • Add link to how to sign up for OWW discuss list to the Getting Started page (Barry)
  • Get some science writers signed up (sri/jason/reshma, anyone who knows a writer ;)
  • Organize meeting about hiring someone with NIH funds (Jason)
  • Discuss OpenWetWare Directory here (everyone)
  • Demo video lab protocols (Tom/Sri)
  • Discuss merits of a protocol 'editor' here (everyone)
  • Submit the Nature methods article (James)
  • Possibility of free DOI's from MIT (Reshma)

11/9/2006 Meeting

  • Get some science journalists involved in the site (maybe as part of a course, etc)
    • Post a highlight about it DONE
    • Technical writing department @ MIT (Reshma will talk to Neal Lerner) - sent email, made blurb
    • Freelance journalists (Sri)
  • Austin Highlight (Everyone)
  • Set up e-mailing list for oww-announce & oww-discuss (Sri)
  • Discuss who to hire with NIH funds: Marketing, Infrustructure, or Technical Support (Everyone)
  • Alternatives to reddit that accomplish the same sort of thing (Julian)
  • How to put a box on the top of every page for big annoucements (a la what wikipedia does with its funding drives). (no one signed up for this yet)
    • Sri Kosuri (talk) 14:44, 31 October 2006 (EST): The sitenotice message and the anonymous notice are methods to do this in mediawiki. We can place messages here that Monobook can take (we may have to edit our monobook a la wikipedia). I imagine we could put information up there for logged in users such as service interruptions... and non-logged in users, we can plea for them to apply for an account... any thoughts?
  • Move Wilbanks lecture to front page (Sri) - DONE
  • Move the site to Rackspace (ilya & austin) - DONE
    • Post an announcement if there will be downtime.
  • Get OWW content linkable from postgenomic (Jason) - DONE (see here)

Browse Archive

10/12/2006 Meeting

  • Setup a trial page of reddit when they release their software
  • Highlights - Pam Silver (October), Austin's extensions
  • New Spotlight! - BioSysBio
  • Reduce the size of the front page
  • Move the site to rackspace beginning of October (be sure to doublecheck the date with BSB conference deadlines).
  • Chris Surridge - Exec. Editor of PLoS One. Need to plan his schedule for October 20th.
  • Evaluate phpBB - integration discussion board
  • Clean up the community portal so that it's easy for people to post new ideas and (preferably) to discuss and rank the priority of existing ideas.
  • Make a similar list on the SC pages for 'SC-level' goals.

9/14/2006 Meeting

  • Reddit trial. (cumbers, lucks)
  • Make "Edit Sidebar" button for customization. (austin?)
    • Jasonk 14:02, 3 September 2006 (EDT): I think we can just have this link be on the sidebar by default: edit your sidebar
  • Vote on front page! (everyone)
  • Finalize infrastructure strategy (Ilya, Sri, Jason)
    • Jasonk 13:53, 3 September 2006 (EDT):Going with rackspace.com, waiting for MIT to approve the PO.
    • Sri Kosuri (talk) 18:11, 11 September 2006 (EDT): Start date is probably tomorrow, latest Wednesday.
    • When would be best time to do the site migration - e.g. not right before a BioSysBio deadline, for instance ;)
  • Look over and comment on the list of SC goals.
  • Add a 'Join OWW' link on the bottom of every page.
  • Chris Surridge Visit
    • Sri Kosuri (talk) 18:13, 11 September 2006 (EDT):Chris will arrive Thursday, October 19th, and we will have all of Friday with him (October 20th).
  • BioSysBio update (john cumbers)
  • highlights (john cumbers)
    • Could we highlighthe BSB abstracts section? also coming up on 1500 users.
Personal tools